August 03, 2016

WHAT I'VE BEEN READING | COMPILATION OF BOOK REVIEWS

I'm going to try and catch up with a few of the book reviews I should have done months ago before posting the reviews of books that I have just read. Because of school, I mostly just read without thinking about writing a review, but I definitely still retain enough of what I read to compile a few short reviews!

THE BOOK THIEF by Markus Zusak

After having read All The Light We Cannot See, I read several reviews that drew lines between the two books and I can definitely see why. However, even with their similarities, they are still very unique in their own ways. One of my favourite parts of The Book Thief was just witnessing the compassion of Liesel's parents, as well as from Liesel herself. It's a great reminder of all the goodness and kindness that people possess despite all the horror that is unravelling around them. 

I would definitely recommend this as a must-read. Despite being marked as a fiction novel, I always love novels that attempt to recreate the reality of WWII without focussing on Hitler and his abysmal actions. Do yourself a favour and read this book.

THE GLASS CASTLE by Jeanette Walls

Despite its tiny size, this book still took a bit of time to get through. What started off as a genuine interest to see how everything turned out in the end, slowly warped into impatience with the writing style. I do not in ANY WAY want to doubt the integrity the events as described in the book, but at times, it was just described in a way that felt almost like fiction. Perhaps, however, that was what Jeanette Walls was trying to achieve - to show that her life, even to her, felt almost like fiction; that such events occur all the time to many people in the world, yet their stories are left untold, or treated as fiction. 

419 by Will Ferguson

This one was also a little difficult to get through, and I'll admit to falling asleep on the LRT several times while reading this (though because I was tired or because of the book is hard to tell) I didn't feel entirely satisfied at the end either, it seemed like a lot of building, building, building - then just nothing really. I thought that the entire premise of the book was good, especially considering the extent to which everyone is connected to the internet now. Most people can probably relate to having a parent or aunt who, although connected to the internet, has no idea what an e-mail is. Or how anything works.

THE SWEETNESS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PIE by Alan Bradley

OK 3/4 of this post is of books that I had a hard time getting through, I'm sorry. But not really - it's just my opinion. This also wasn't a bad book, it just wasn't my style. Although I enjoy challenging myself by reading books of different styles (as I started reading non-fiction this year) I just couldn't bring myself to truly enjoy this book. The type of mystery I enjoy borders with thrillers, so this just didn't pack a punch for me. If you're looking for a lighter, more humorous type of mystery, I would definitely recommend this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)