August 24, 2016

BOOK REVIEW | MARY GREEN BY MELANIE KERR


I was provided with an ARC by the author and publisher to give an honest review.

OK I'm going to start this thing where I talk about the covers of books because (gasp) I always judge a book by its cover. The picture on the screen isn't necessarily the right colour - more orange than it is red in real life. Overall, I think it has a very elegant design that really does represent the story. The only thing I would change would be the author's name, which is just barely visible. Maybe putting it in a different colour and possibly even below the frame would do it more justice.

Onto the review...

If you follow me on Goodreads, you would have seen an update from me being a little dissatisfied with what I was reading. Going into the book, I was excited because I hardly ever read books written by Canadian authors let alone by fellow Edmontonians.

It took quite a bit of effort to get through the first half of the book, which I usually wouldn't do but I really wanted to just see whether or not it improved. At the beginning, I just found the language and the characters to all be dull and frivolous - uninteresting. All they talked about were boys, marriage and money which I assume was exactly what Melanie Kerr intended to do - to show the frivolity of the era. For some reason, it just didn't click with me. Let me know, as I have never read Pride and Prejudice, is it similar in such ways as well?

However, during the later half, I started seeing some more character and plot development. Our main protagonist, Mary, finally ditched the frivolity to search for who she was and try to stay true to herself, to her values. By the end of the book, I had developed a certain admiration for her, as we usually do for characters who persevere no matter the situations through which life puts them.

Overall, considering it is an ARC, it was pretty well written especially since it is only one of the first of many books I am sure to come. I am extremely happy to see the establishment of the Stonehouse Publishing House here in Edmonton as well. Go and check out my post of that here. I think if I were a different kind of reader, say, one that loved Pride and Prejudice (I have tried, believe me) I would have really enjoyed this book as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)