April 03, 2016

Sunday Snapshots | Practicing Mindfulness



The past Friday was an interesting collection of events. In the morning, I lost my bus pass for April - on the first day of April. My keys dropped out of my pocket and I didn't notice that my bus pass came out with them, so I picked up my keys and got onto the train without picking up the bus pass. I was quite distressed and frustrated with myself, but I just had to remind myself that it wasn't the end of the world. Sometimes things just happen and there isn't much we can do about it afterwards.

IMG_2197

Not letting the loss of a bus pass ruin my day, I decided to go forward with my plans to go to a cafe and read The Great Gatsby for school. Sitting down next to the window, the sun warming my legs, a cup of steaming coffee accompanied by a strawberry rhubarb muffin, it took me a while to calm down. Practicing mindfulness is a challenge for me, noticing my mistakes but not judging myself. Everyone makes mistakes sometimes.

IMG_2198

This red door is on Whyte Avenue and I only just noticed it a few weeks ago despite having walked this road many, many times over the past 3 years. A few doors down is the blue "Time is Precious" door that many people take pictures of, but I think this red door is just as important.

IMG_2205

Afterwards, my friend and I walked from Whyte Avenue all the way across the high level into downtown Edmonton. It wasn't that tiring, but I also don't walk that much on a normal basis; at the end of the day, I recorded over 21000 steps for over 3 hours! My legs are definitely sore, but the weather was also extremely beautiful and it was a lovely day to go for a walk.

We all make mistakes, all the time. Sometimes it's extremely easy to become frustrated and angry at ourselves for something that was completely in our control, something that we could have prevented. During times like this, it's important not to let our emotions drive us too much because, yes, I lost my bus pass; yes, I DEFINITELY could have prevented it from happening - in fact, I was debating putting the bus pass into the back of my phone case instead. At the end of the day, like my French teacher always says, personne va mourir - No one is going to die. Get your emotions under control, and try your best to correct the situation or find another way to solve the problem. Getting angry at yourself rarely helps.
Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)