October 19, 2015

Book Review: The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson

Published by Hyperion on September 11, 2012


As I started reading this book, I didn't know what to expect since I hadn't read any reviews or heard any comments from friends. Despite this, or maybe because of this, I enjoyed the book for its laughable moments and underlying inspiring message.

From this perspective, I was pleasantly surprised by the type of humour that was maintained throughout the book. Although I wasn't guffawing or crying from laughter, I definitely chuckled here and there. One of the most noticeable traits about this book is the emotional detachment with which the author writes in regards to various... questionable, events. If we were to be more in depth about this, I think Jonasson purposely writes from a third-person limited objective point of view to further contribute to the emotional detachment and emphasize the humour of the book.

It can also be interpreted as an attempt to characterize Allan's twisted optimism due to his upbringing as a child. One of my favourite things about this book was the fluidity with which Allan's past and present were weaved together and finally brought into a perfect knot at the end. As I was finishing the book, I got extremely excited with how seamless his past and present were weaved together.

One of my only criticisms would be in regards to the humour as well, contrary to my point above. There were some times where I felt a bit bored with the humour (vodka, vodka.... and more vodka) almost as if it were a bit too forced. Other than that, I loved the combination of historical events with Allan's story line and also the variety of characters. The story was so ridiculous that I enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)