September 15, 2014

Book Review: The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith


Because I've been so busy with exams and summer school, it pretty much took me 2 months to read this book. To be honest, it was quite difficult to get through it and I found myself constantly struggling to pay attention to every little detail. However, I highly enjoy anything related to crime and, like Robin, I was intrigued by the career of a private detective, therefore I continued to read.

A few months ago, I began reading a few Sherlock Holmes stories and I loved it. The Cuckoo's Calling had Robin playing the part of Watson and Strike as Sherlock Holmes. Often, I would laugh at Robin's preparedness, how she always seemed to have a notepad and pen in hand, and also her being a quick thinker. Strike was also an interesting character with a diverse history that is slowly revealed throughout the book. I love J.K.'s ability to write characters with such depth and realism.

The story itself was mildly interesting, and I enjoyed the twists and turns that Galbraith took us through. Like I said, the book was quite slow and I had trouble paying attention (I actually fell asleep a few times while reading it) This mystery is about finding the murderer of Lula Landry, and every time I thought to myself "IT'S GOT TO BE HIM, IT HAS TO BE", there was a new piece of evidence that threw me off.

As I finished the book, I felt like I learned quite a few things besides the process of investigations. Integrated brilliantly into the story was the theme of social inequalities shown through the different backgrounds of the characters, their race, their jobs, the way they live. I honestly think the book is worth reading because of all the little details, metaphors, and themes that are so creatively woven into the story to make it such a great book!



Other Reviews:

Aylee at Recover Potter Addict
The Broke and the Bookish

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)