September 22, 2014

Book Review: City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare



I started reading this series about 5 years ago, and I completely fell in love with it. But because I felt the last two books had gone downhill, I had low expectations for the final installment of The Mortal Instruments, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I ended up liking it.

Even though we already know the characters quite well, there were still a few more little things that were revealed in this book. I felt that Cassandra Clare did a good job at including all the characters, and having them play an important role in the story. The characters continuously grow with each other, along with their love; I really enjoyed watching them gradually become closer and more trusting of each other. I also enjoyed the way that the characters from The Infernal Devices and The Dark Artifices were included to sort of tie the whole world of Shadowhunters together. I think the only thing missing for me was seeing Clary full on in action, which we got a glimpse of in City of Lost Souls.

Although I did tear up a bit, I wasn't completely in tears as I was in Clockwork Princess. I felt that the climax sort of just HIT me then was gone really, really quickly and left me thinking "Wait, what?". Although I enjoyed getting more from the characters, I still feel, and will always feel, that the series should have ended with City of Glass.

It was a decent ending that was written to give readers hope in our mind about the future and wrapped nearly everything up. I'm not completely sure if I want to read Lady Midnight; as intriguing as the world of Shadowhunters is, I think this might be where I'm stopping! However, I might just wait for others to read it and see whether or not they enjoyed it. 

Other Reviews:

Recovering Potter Addict

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)