July 14, 2014

Book Review: Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin



This book caught me by surprise as I actually liked it a lot more than I expected. When the whole romance came up, I actually rolled my eyes at how stupid it was, how it would just turn out like every other book. However, the author was able to make this relationship distinct, and add a bit of a twist to the romance. For that reason, I actually ended up really liking the romantic relationship between Araby and "ahem". Besides the romance, I felt that each relationship was well developed and supported, with enough evidence and time for these relationships to really bloom between all the characters.

On that note, Araby is a really cool name and I'd probably butcher it if I said it out loud, so I'm glad I'm just typing this. At first, I found myself annoyed at her tendencies to shun other people who had the disease. Although it was understandable why she looked down upon them, I just found that she started off as a very narrow-minded character. However, what I absolutely loved was the fact that I could just see how she progressed from that narrow mindedness, and how much her character had changed by the end of the book.

The setting also really hooked me in, a dystopian society suffering from an ongoing epidemic. From the moment I started the book, I just wanted to find out more about the society, the city, and I loved that my need for that was fulfilled. 

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys the genre of Dystopia, or YA in general. It's just a nice read with lots of literary techniques that served as symbols. If you've already read Masque of the Red Death, by all means, please comment! I would highly enjoy discussing the contents of this book! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)