December 01, 2013

Review: Every Day by David Levithan




Every Day by David Levithan


Publisher: Knopf Books
Published: August 28, 2012
Read: September 26 -28, 2013
Source: Secret Santa Exchange
Challenge: TBR Pile 2013 || Bingo Reading Challenge (Category: A Book Everyone has Read)




Review


As a whole, I did like this book because of the concept. Just picture it in your head: Waking up every day as a different person, a different name, and a different body. The concept of the book is what really just enraptured me and got me to really think about how we take for granted the lives we get to live and to be able to define ourselves as a certain human being. I also think that this book really pokes at the thought of someone who changes in appearance every day, but being able to love someone because they still stay true to themselves.

With the romance, I felt that it was a bit of "love at first sight" which usually irks me. In this case, I don't really know how I feel about it just because of the whole situation they were in. He/she/it never really experienced the feeling of being loved and cared for by one person for more than a day so I guess it was understandable for him/her to see this person that he/she felt a certain pull for and gradually became obsessed with the idea of being with her. At the same time that my heartstrings were being pulled, I wasn't really ALL THAT about the romance.

There were other issues that were dabbled with: perception of beauty, obesity, sexuality, and this one a bit more than others - depression. It's a bit unreasonable to wish for this considering that A becomes a different person every day/chapter, but I sort of wish that these issues would be dealt with on a deeper level.

Overall, I sort of just have extremely mixed feelings about this book. On one hand I just really liked it for the concept and the story because it was just really well written. However, it left me so frustrated because so many questions were just left unanswered. On that note, I have a feeling David Levithan either implied a few answers that I missed, or he wanted to leave us feeling like A did.. with many questions waiting to be answered.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)