May 01, 2013

Review: Flesh & Bone by Jonathan Maberry





Title Flesh & Bone
Author Jonathan Maberry
Series Benny Imura #3
Publisher Simon and Schuster
Published September 11, 2012
Read April 13 - 20, 2013
Source School Library
Challenge 2013 Bingo Reading Challenge (Category: Series)

Goodreads || Purchase


Review


After the first two books, especially after the ending of the second book, I knew I just HAD to get my hands on the third book. Quite honestly, it’s hard for me to write this review because I don’t know WHAT to write about, but I’ll try. I’m kind of having mixed feelings about this book and I just don’t know how to explain it.

Jonathan Maberry’s world building is phenomenal. I loved all the different aspects of this post-apocalyptic world and even from what we already knew, there was still even more to it. I loved how they traverse from forests to deserts, and encountered all kinds of different things. Not only were there zombies, but “reapers” appeared in this book and added a lot more violence, action, and blood to the story.

I felt so bad for the 4 teenagers – Lilah, Chong, Benny, and Nix. I mean, these kids never seem to catch a break. At least one of them is always in grave danger, and the other is injured in some way. It just contrasts so much from teenagers now, seeing as to all the troubles and downfalls each of these teenagers have gone through. Their backgrounds are so diverse and each of them had their own strengths along with their weaknesses. I just really liked seeing how they all seemed to work together and get along so well.

Lacking from this book would probably be the character and the relationship building between them. I mean, we certainly get a lot of Benny and Nix, but both of them were just deep within their own troubles. I just wished that they would have worked together more, and helped each other out. Another relationship that I wished I could have seen more of would be Lilah and Chong. It’s quite obvious that they have feelings for each other and I found it extremely cute that Lilah kind of breaks out of her shell from him. Through her inner dialogue, we know that Lilah is confused, and I hated how they were pretty much apart from one another throughout the book. The relationships were one of the most important things that made me fall in love with this series and it was just lacking from this book.

Also, I often got confused about what was going on and it was just hard to keep everything that was happening all at once in my head. I’m pretty sure this was due to the fact that there were quite a few perspectives going on, each one of them taking place somewhere else. All of it was just too much at times.

Needless to say, I didn't enjoy this book as much as I did with the first two. SPOILER AHEAD, HIGHLIGHT TO READ((I’m pretty sure it’s because Tom isn't such a big part of the book anymore. He was my favourite character!!)) END OF SPOILER. However, I still really like the series as a whole, and I’m excited to read the final book, Fire and Ash, when it comes out in August.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)