April 23, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Expectations


Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's topic is:

Top Ten Books I Enjoyed More or Less Than I Expected


+ Cinder by Marissa Meyer: I had read a few fairy tail retellings before this, but Cinder was so freaking AMAZING and completely blew my mind! While we knew what would happen, there were still other things such as the world building that would change the events.

+ Rot & Ruin by Jonathan Maberry: My first zombie book, sigh. It was so good and so much more than I had expected! Maybe not all zombie books will be like this, but I am so glad I started off with this one. Where I was expecting blood, gore, and guts, I got more of self-realization, family, and friends.

+ Night Road by Kristin Hannah: It's been MONTHS since I read this and sometimes I still think about it because of all the emotions I went through.

+ Eragon by Christopher Paolini: YAY! This comes up on a lot of my TTT's, but honestly, Eragon was freaking awesome. I wasn't expecting much from a fantasy, but I absolutely LOVED it!

+ Unearthly by Cynthia Hand: After my bad experience with angel books, I had actually wanted to give them a break. But my friends eventually convinced me to Unearthly, and it is BY FAR, my favourite angel series.

- Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews: I seriously, SERIOUSLY, wanted to enjoy this more than I did. Sure, I liked it, just not as much as I thought I would. I'm not sure what ruined it for me, maybe just that nothing much happened and I didn't see any change in Greg at all.

- Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler: Gah, my first DNF. I didn't even want to read it. I just couldn't bring myself to get through it and I actually read 80 pages! It was just so... boring.

- Heaven by Alexandra Adornetto: -LE SIGH- This was one of my favourite series, but looking back now, I'm not too sure why. Maybe my taste in books have just changed! But when I read this book, I honestly just didn't like ANY OF THE CHARACTERS. A lot of things they did were either petulant, or just out of character.



4 comments:

  1. If I did these lists Cinder would definitely be on mine as well. That book (and Scarlet) were just so darn good. Every time I come to your blog I am reminded of how I need to start the Mayberry series ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! :D I really need to read Cinder...it's been on my shelf for too long without being read. ;)

    I couldn't even get through the beginning of Halo...but it's too bad that you ended up disliking that series right at the last book. All that work to get to the last book, and you didn't like it. It really sucks when that happens. :( Makes me glad I didn't force myself to keep reading though. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cinder is so awesome!! :D Can't wait to see what you think about it.

    I KNOW! I really liked the first two, but I guess my tastes just changed after a while. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They were so surprising! When I finished them, I was just thinking "WOW!" Hahaha, get on it, Jenni! :D

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)