April 06, 2013

Review: Scarlet by Marissa Meyer





Title Scarlet
Author Marissa Meyer
Series The Lunar Chronicles #2 (#1: Cinder)
Publisher Feiwel and Friends
Published February 5, 2013
Read March 20-24, 2013
Source School Library
Challenge 2013 Bingo Reading Challenge (Category: 2013 Releases)

Goodreads || Purchase

Review


After having a major shock at how unexpectedly AWESOME Cinder was, I was definitely more than excited to read Scarlet. Marissa Meyer has written, and is still writing, one of the best retellings ever! I love how she's combined Cinderella with Red Riding Hood. Based on the Goodreads synopsis of the next books, Cress is about Rapunzel, and Winter is about Snow White.

Right off the bat, we're introduced to a new character. Her name? Scarlet. I loved her because she seemed like a genuinely kind person, and I liked watching as everything she had known about her own little world, in a small town, started to change. Another new character goes by the name of Wolf. Just some MAJOR swooning on my part. I could always tell that he was hiding something from Scarlet, but at the same time, he was so sweet to her! The next character became a companion of Cinder, and he was so funny! I loved the way he brought out the sarcasm and fun in Cinder, but he himself seemed like an awesome person to be around -- even if he talks too much.

Cinder herself is also having a lot of struggles with what is right or wrong. She's grasping a hold of what she was capable of and whether or not she SHOULD use her abilities.

Scarlet is told in a dual POV, sometimes with a third, and I feel that just helped pull the whole story together.

I feel like a lot of the plot would have been quite predictable if there hadn't been such a HUGE gap for me between reading Cinder and Scarlet. There were a lot of things I didn't remember, and probably therefore, didn't see coming. Even if the plot WAS predictable, there were also relationships driving the story as well.

There isn't a whole lot I can talk about without spoiling anything. Scarlet had more action, a WHOLE lot more swooning, and also snarky characters.


6 comments:

  1. I read these right after each other recently, and I loved them! I can't wait for the next book in the series too, and I do love how the author ties the fairytales in! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were amazing! I'm so excited to read the next 2 books. Thanks, Kelsey! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm surprised you found this predictable - Cinder kept leading me down the predictable path only to veer to the side unexpectedly at the last second! Hopefully my reading gap between books is large enough that I don't notice the predictability too much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, I still need to read this series! I will have to get on it in a few weeks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not EVERYTHING was predictable, there were certainly things that made me go, WTF. But I felt that in the case of relationships and such, it was predictable in a way.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)