April 26, 2013

Review: Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor





Title Daughter of Smoke & Bone
Author Laini Taylor
Series Daughter of Smoke & Bone #1
Publisher Little, Brown
Published September 27, 2011
Read
Source
Public Library

Challenge 2013 Bingo Reading Challenge (Category: Everyone has Read)

Goodreads || Purchase

Review


I am having such mixed feelings about this book and I really have no idea how to write this review. I mean, on the one hand I really loved the concept, the world building, and also the romance. On the other hand, however, I was SO BORED for, like, half the book! I guess I’ll just go ahead and talk about the things I liked first.

Like I just said, I really liked the concept, world building and romance. For some reason, the concept of angels and demons intrigue me just because I like to see whether or not it's pulled off in a religious manner, which it wasn't. There were several worlds we come in contact with and at times, along with the worlds, we had to keep up with certain stories as well and I actually confused them with each other at first. However, in the end, I found that I enjoyed reading about the worlds, their conflicts, and also their social classes.

Oh the romance! It was SUPER sweet and adorable, even the side romances were cute! But the main romance, Karou and Akiva, was so sadly sweet, and the story behind it really moved me.

For the main part, I really enjoyed Daughter of Smoke & Bone. However, I found myself intrigued and bored at the same time. There were times where I knew that the story was just building up to that main point, the action, and I really wanted to take in all the information and get there. At the same time though, I was kind of bored and I felt that the book was taking quite a slow pace.

Looking back at it, not TOO much actually happened, it was mostly just a lot of mystery behind Karou and who she was. I liked it, but I didn’t LOVE it either. With that being said, I’m quite motivated to read the next book! 




2 comments:

  1. I really liked this one, but it was kind of slow in parts. I listened to the audiobook, and the narrator was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had to listen to an audiobook in class and I JUST couldn't do it. It's so hard for me to concentrate on just listening to the story!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)