March 11, 2013

Review: Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews






Title Me and Earl and the Dying Girl
Author Jesse Andrews
Publisher Amulet
Published March 1, 2012
Read March 4 - 5, 2013
Challenge 2013 Bingo Reading Challenge (Category: TBR Pile) || 2013 TBR Reading Challenge

Goodreads || Purchase


Review


The thing I love most about writing reviews and posting them to my blog is that I get to express all the feels and thoughts I have about a book. Especially when there is literally NO ONE around to talk to.

God, this book was so... WEIRD, I don't even know what to think of it. I mean, if you go to Goodreads and read the blurb, I bet you're thinking something along the lines of: "Oh, this will be such a beautiful read about loving someone with cancer." Trust me, it's actually the opposite of that. Don't worry, I'm not spoiling anything because that's what it says at the beginning of the book.

The thing about this book is that it left me feeling really confused about how I felt towards the main character, Greg. On the one hand, he is this hilarious and a brutally honest person. But on the other hand, he even admits that he's a total jackass. Just, holy crap. Like I said, he's brutally honest and at this one horrible point, he didn't even feel that bad or have any emotions in particular. I'm paraphrasing but this is kind of what he said: "I know I should feel bad right now, but I don't." It pissed me off how he didn't give a shit, but then it also made me appreciate how honest he was, mostly pissed though.

Another character I was confused about was Earl, Greg's "best and only friend". I had nothing against him, he obviously had family issues and possibly needed anger management. However, there was a point where he literally became some kind of sentimental freak (although swearing a bit), and said some very true and deep things to Greg that clashed with his behaviour earlier in the book. His relationship with Greg is quite odd, they're friends, but they aren't. It's confusing.

The story itself was a tad bit --- nothing. I think the main element that kept me reading was just the narrator, Greg, and watching his hard work at fitting into every group at school fall apart because of one girl. I'll warn you again, it's not a love story, but it could be funny story that STILL, isn't for everyone.



2 comments:

  1. Oh, I've had this book on my TBR for awhile now! But then one day at Chapters, I actually flipped through it and it seemed a little...odd? Needless to say, I didn't end up buying it, but I think I'd still like to read it one day. I have to be honest - I was totally expecting like a 2 star rating at the end of this review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh crap, I totally forgot this was going up today. -facepalm- I was going to change it to 3 stars but couldn't find the time. Anyways, it is really odd, but it's no totally HORRIBLE. I mean, I made it through! Although I think I kind of had higher expectations due to a few reviews I read.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)