February 10, 2013

Sunday Update: Happy Chinese New Year!


This is where I link up posts from the past week, and also things to look forward to in the following week.

Posts

Talk about a creepy cover.


Message


You might be wondering why the title of this is Happy New Year... well, it's because I'm Chinese. Today, is the start of Chinese New Year, yes, the start. Celebrations are probably a lot more festive in China, but for the most part, the last around 2 weeks. So yea, happy Chinese new year! :)

On Friday, my school had it's annual Social Dance competition. Basically, every year after our Christmas Break, we start a unit in Phys Ed. called Social Dance. After about a month of classes, we have the competition, where homerooms compete against each other. I know what I said about competition, but this one is just... different for some reason. It's kind of hard to explain, and also something that the "two sides" rule can be applied to.

We won and our reaction was as if we had won a million bucks. It felt awesome, and we got what we expected -- the rest of the grade 9 population hating us. We actually went up to people and said "good job", and just nice things, to which they retorted,"YOU GUYS SUCK". It's like this every year.

I actually still have a few library books to read, so I'm hoping to get to that soon. However, I want to finish Alexander Gordon Smith's Escape From Furnace series first -- it's so freaking awesome!! By the way, my review for Fugitives will be coming up this week. 

As for the books from my public library, I started Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler. I think this one will win the award for "Leanne's first DNF". Holy crap, it's so freaking BORING. I read about 80 pages of it, and I absolutely could not stand it. The only thing I liked about it was the pictures.

One final thing, happy freaking birthday to Jenni from Alluring Reads -- who is also holding her blogoversary bash!! Go check it out and say happy birthday to her, and her blog, I guess. :)

I think that's about it for this week, happy reading! 

8 comments:

  1. Andrea @The Bookish BabeSun Feb 10, 03:32:00 pm

    Happy New Year, Leanne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year! :)


    I finished the second book in the Furnace series ... not sure what to think yet! It was good, but so much a boy book! And the ending wasn't what I wanted it to be. I might take a break before reading the third book.


    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea, it's definitely a very boyish book... but I find myself very intrigued by it. Haha, its very different from what I'm used to reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A 2 week celebration? Sounds fun! Sorry to hear your fellow grade nine students are being sucky... they'll grow up eventually. I haven't heard a lot about Why We Broke Up, but I did sort of remember thinking it didn't sound so exciting when it came out. If you must DNF it, then so be it! You definitely shouldn't waste any time on a book that holds no interest to you. Happy Chinese New Year, Leanne!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the awesome mention, Leanne! I am about to hop over and read your review of Boundless, I really loved it so I hope you did too! That cover for Execution is pretty damn intense! I hope you like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's a different "theme" for each day! :) Most of them aren't as intelligent as my class. LOL. That book was just too.. insubstantial. I'm not sure if I should write anything up for it. I think it was Megan who had a post for DNF's, but since I only have 1, I'm not too sure what to do with it. Thank you Eilidh! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. No problem, Jenni! It's such a creepy cover.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)