February 13, 2013

Review: Fugitives by Alexander Gordon Smith




Fugitives by Alexander Gordon Smith

Author: Twitter | Website

Format: Hardcover
Pages: 288
Series: Escape From Furnace #4
Publisher: FSG
Published: Farrar, Straus, and Giroux
Read: February 3 - 9
Source: School Library
Challenge: 2013 Bingo Challenge (Category: Series)



Review


Alexander Gordon Smith has outdone himself yet again. These books just keep getting better and better, each with a new crisis to face, each with more gory, but gripping, events. I'll try to keep this mainly spoiler free, but there will be a few things from the past 3 books of the series.

Alex has finally broken out of Furnace, broken out of what was basically HELL, to arrive at another one. A place that he had dreamed of for so long while being trapped underground, has turned out to be a place even worse than Furnace. Man, it pains me to see him having to keep running from everything. It sucks that he can't ever be the same person he used to be, especially with everything he's gone through. He's literally been to hell and back.

Since they broke out of Furnace, they have also let loose the monsters that were kept there. The citizens of the "normal" world were obviously shocked, and sometimes their reactions really ticked me off. I understood where they were coming from, but at the same time, I wanted to shake them and tell them, "THEY'RE NOT THE BAD ONES."

Alexander Gordon Smith describes everything so vividly, my imagery senses were just going crazy. He painted out everything so clearly in my head, all the gory details, the smells, horror... it was amazing. I very much liked the fact that he didn't need to write a lot to describe something, only a few sentences, and it still was as clear as day.

The whole story gave me goosebumps but also held me in the entire time. I wanted to see how Alex would deal with problems he had to face, and also having to fight the nectar pumping through his veins, threatening to turn him into a monster. I can't wait to see how it all plays out in the end.

Even though the sequence of events in here are horrifying and just all together heart pounding, there were still moments where I would laugh. The other guys Alex is with are hilarious, even in the worst of times.

I was afraid to start this series because I hadn't read a lot of sci fi kind of books, but this was a great one to start with! I suggest you all give it a try if you haven't already. :)

4 Star photo Ratings-4_zpse5fd1ebb.png

2 comments:

  1. Dang, this sounds pretty awesome! I haven't heard a whole lot about this series, but from what I have heard, it's all positive. I'm thinking I would really love this one, too!! It also seems very guy friendly, which is sort of rare in YA these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a really awesome series, although I think it would have helped if I read them all together. I should recommend this to more boys, just to get them to read. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)