February 21, 2013

Review: Execution by Alexander Gordon Smith


Execution by Alexander Gordon Smith


Series: Escape From Furnace #5
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux
Published: November 13, 2012
Read: February 12-15
Source: School Library
Challenge: 2013 Bingo Reading Challenge (Category: Series)








Review


I am completely buried in a turmoil of emotions right now, having just finished this book, the last one of this series. Honestly, I have no words to describe how I'm feeling because there simply are no words, and I also want to keep this spoiler free.

Alex has become a completely different person, and has definitely grown -- literally -- a lot. I loved the way he never stopped striving toward whatever it was he wanted to accomplish, the way he never backed down from any obstacles he had to face. Throughout the series, Alex struggled many times to stay true to himself and who he was. Alex's narrating voice throughout this story was one of a boy whose living a nightmare, but is constantly fighting for things or people he believes in.

Surprisingly enough, this book actually made me cry at one point. There were many moments that caused me heartache, but only one moment where I was weeping. But there were also moments where I was gripped by laughter, especially during moments where situations were tense, and Alex and his friends still managed to pull a joke.

In my opinion, this whole entire series was focused on power and what it will do to people who want to obtain it. So many times throughout the series, a different person was trying to gain control over something, or keep their control over something. In the end, the control and power was dealt with in a way that I agreed with, but also one that made me a bit sad.

This story isn't just based on horror, there are a lot of other emotions that come along with it, and lessons to be learned. I was extremely happy with the way it ended, and I hope that if you decide to read this series, you will be too!


2 comments:

  1. Leanne, I'm not even reading your review since this is the LAST book in the series and I've only read the first two! While I felt kind of mediocre about the end of the last book I read, I still think it's a super fun series -- well, fun and DARK! I'm interested to see how it all ends! I hope I find it as amazing as you did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I can't believe I finished another series. There's always that sense of accomplishment. I hope you enjoy it whenever you decide to pick it up again, the series overall was amazing. Although it can be a bit slow at times, I think it all went together smoothly. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)