February 23, 2013

Review: Confessions of an Angry Girl by Louise Rozett




Series Confessions #1
Publisher HarlequinTEEN
Published August 28, 2012
Read February 17-18, 2013
Source Public Library
Challenge 2013 Bingo Reading Challenge (Category: Series)

Goodreads | Purchase

Review


This review is going to get personal

The prologue of this book immediately pulled me in because of it's snarky, blunt and brutally honest narrator, Rose. Sometimes, she'd say things in a moment of anger and right away, she'd regret it. Even though she said some really mean and nasty things, I totally understood why. She was constantly being harassed, her best friend and her were drifting apart, she just had a lot of shit to put up with.

One of the things I loved most about this book was the definitions at the beginning of each chapter that corresponded to what happens in each chapter. It also helped increase my vocab list.

A lot of issues were being dealt with throughout the book, all of which were shockingly realistic. It was weird for me to read this because even though I knew that it happens a lot, it's just that I don't understand it. I am the exact same age as Rose, and connected with her the best in the things she thought.

What is the appeal of having sex at such a young age? Maybe it's just the way I was brought up, but why? Honestly, I think that you can do whatever you want, but think about how it would hurt yourself and those around you.

And also, the appeal of getting wasted, vomiting, possibly getting alcohol poisoning, and then have a gigantic hangover the next morning. Again, WHY? Maybe it's fun in the moment, but honestly, does underage drinking and breaking the law make it funner or something? If you're of age, fine, do what you want but still be careful. (I sound like a grandma) Like I said earlier, just be careful and think about whether or not you're going to hurt yourself or those around you.

Rose was harassed by the typical mean girl (Well, this girl was kind of insanely mean) at school, and she didn't tell anyone in fear that it would get worse and also out of protection for her best friend. In reality, people usually don't like to tell because they are afraid of the bullying getting worse, of being a tattle tale. Honestly, if I were in her place, I probably wouldn't have told an adult either. But sometimes, enough is enough, and it sucked watching Rose suffer through what she did. Her dad was gone, her mom wasn't there for her, and neither was her brother. Like I said, she had a lot of shit to put up with.

Coming out of this book, I really enjoyed it and also though a lot about the issues at hand. I wish more teenagers would read this and realize the repercussions of some of the idiotic crap they do. But they're probably too busy drinking and getting high. What is our world coming to?

5 Star photo Ratings-5_zps09cab226.png

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked this one! I was pleasantly surprised when I finished it ... it really was good! Like you, I can't see the appeal of getting wasted all the time ... yes, I did do it when I was younger, but not as much as some people. There are so many more productive things one can do with their time!


    Anyway, I can't wait to read the next one in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this one on my TBR list. I'm glad you enjoyed it, since it seemed to touch on some pretty legit issues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know! I hadn't expected it to be so good. I've actually been called boring for not wanting/seeing the appeal of getting wasted.

    I'm so excited for it! I actually thought it was just a stand alone, but now I really want the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't expected it to deal with the issues the way it did, like... it touched the surface but also went a bit deeper. It's a great book. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)