January 30, 2013

Review: Unearthly by Cynthia Hand



Unearthly by Cynthia Hand


Author: Twitter | Website | Goodreads

Format: Paperback
Pages: 435
Series: Unearthly #1
Publisher: HarperTeen
Published: January 4, 2011
Read: January 20 - 26
Source: School Library
Challenge: 2013 Bingo Reading Challenge (Category: Everyone Has Read)

Review

After having bad experiences with two, not one, but TWO angel series, I was honestly terrified to read this one. I wasn't sure what I was expecting really, maybe just for it to be better than the other ones I've read. This book literally had me ripping through the pages. (I actually read this during class when I was supposed to be doing something else... shhh)

The first thing I noticed was that she already knew about being an angel, she had found out two years ago. I liked how it wasn't about coping with the FACT of being an angel, it was about Clara trying to figure out what she was supposed to do. Angels were placed on earth for a certain reason, it's called their purpose, and they must fulfill it.

I really liked Clara, and how she didn't lie to herself, most of the time. She was also more confident in herself than most YA girls, but it didn't get to the point where she became cocky.

The plot was pretty smooth, sometimes, it felt a bit slow, but by the end of each chapter something would make me want to keep reading. There was a very dramatic first meeting the eye moment where the world melted away into Clara's VISION of her purpose; it only slightly bothered me. Even though I could predict many things as I read along, it didn't really take away my interest from the whole story.

There were many relationships in work here, love, friends, and also family. Her brother was irritating sometimes, but I liked the way they could work together because they were both sort of going through the same thing, trying to figure out why they're here on earth.

Unearthly was absolutely amazing, and I'm crossing my fingers for the rest of the series to be just as awesome.

5 Star photo Ratings-5_zps09cab226.png

4 comments:

  1. Yesss so glad you loved it!! I, too, have not enjoyed any other angel series. It wasn't until Hallowed was up on Netgalley last year and people were going crazy for it that I decided to check out Unearthly and I'm so glad I did. I loveeee this series, and it has such a perfect ending to it. I look forward to hearing what you think of Hallowed and Boundless! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know!! Everyone was raving over it but I avoided it like the plague. It was freaking amaing though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was definitely the book that turned my view on Angels around. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I just finished Boundless as well, SO GOOD!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)