January 17, 2013

Review: This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen


This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen


Author: Twitter | Website | Goodreads

Format: Paperback
Pages: 345
Publisher: Speak
First Published: May 27, 2002
Read: Jan. 12 - Jan 16, 2013
Source: School Library


Review


I don't even know where to begin right now. This Lullaby made me cry, not bawl, but I still cried. I like how her other books weren't just summer flings, and this one wasn't either, but Remy had actually planned it to be one. She wasn't a believer of true love, therefore all her relationships were flings, until Dexter.

The one thing I loved about Dexter was that he never beat around the bush. If he had something to say, he would just cut to the chase and say it out loud. He was also a very sweet guy altogether, and it broke my heart seeing him just try and keep it together, to keep things going.

Remy was the most stubborn person ever, but I could see why she thought about things the way she did, not believing in love. Her father had left her before she was even born, and her mother goes through marriage after marriage, it was just the way she had grown up that made her think that way. It may have taken her a while to finally face her problems, but it was heart-warming to watch her as she stepped out of her comfort zone.

This Lullaby not only deals with Remy and Dexter's relationship, but with Remy's mom and her newest step-father as well. Her mother, I think, played an important role in telling Remy that when you love someone, you can cast their faults away, and look at the good things. And also how opening up to someone is stronger than sending them away, which would actually be the weaker thing to do. That scene just really touched my heart.

And it all boils down to love and timing, if something hadn't happened then, how would it have been different? There are so many things to do with timing that it's just so mind boggling to think about, but that statement is so damn true! The book revolved around love and its ways, how even if you're like Remy and you're set against having a serious relationship, sometimes, it may just sneak up on you.

This Lullaby is now one of my favourites, topping off the list of my favourites from Sarah Dessen. Another job well done! :)

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad this book from a fave author didn't disappoint!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea @ The Bookish BabeThu Jan 17, 04:04:00 pm

    Oh, Leanne! Yet another Dessen book I own & haven't read. Your review had me nearly in tears. So happy you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, which ones HAVE you read?! I'm glad it moved you, the book had me in tears. I hope you'll enjoy it if you read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so good to know that this is one of your favourites! I can't wait to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)