January 24, 2013

Review: Rebel Heart by Moira Young

Rebel Heart by Moira Young


Author: Twitter | Goodreads

Format: Hardcover
Pages: 422
Series: Dust Lands #2
Publisher: Doubleday Canada
Published: October 30, 2012
Read: Jan. 18 - 19
Source: School Library
Challenge: 2013 Bingo Read Challenge (Category: Series)


Review


The first thing I noticed once I started this book was that Lugh, Saba's brother, was such a freaking annoying asshole. I mean, he was the whole reason Saba risked her life so many times, and he seemed so ungrateful for it. Every time he opened his mouth to talk I wanted to strangle him. I'm sure there is a reason behind this, because Saba had loved him so much before, and I have a feeling that this wasn't the brother she loved.

Speaking of Saba, there were some things she did that irked me, although I have a very good idea why it happened. At one point, she completely dropped her guard and did something unspeakable, and I just wanted to jolt her back to her real self. From the beginning to the end, I really rooted for her because she had so many things to deal with, so much weight on her shoulders. Emotion wise, trust issues, death, just about everything was dumped on her.

A character I really enjoyed reading about was Emmi. She's a completely different person from who she was in the beginning of Blood Red Road. Not only is she a stronger person at heart, but also at mind. I loved watching her finally speak up and not let people stomp on her, very much like Saba.

Rebel Heart was a much darker book than I had expected. A lot of emotions come and go, anger, lust, betrayal, just so many things. What I'm trying to say is that Rebel Heart was very much driven by emotions and relationships rather than heart-pounding action.

At last, the romance. Yes, there is romance -or rather- romances. Not only with Saba and quite a few men, but also between a few other individuals. Therefore, don't fret, you'll get your romance.

What I took away from this book was that everything that happens to us changes who we are. There was a lot of talk about stars and destiny, and I hope to find out more about it in the next book.

4 Star photo Ratings-4_zpse5fd1ebb.png

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're loving this series! And i love your new rating system! It's so neat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was definitely one I didn't expect to love as much as I do! Thanks, Kristilyn! I didn't know what else to do, my photoshop skills aren't the best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. See you just confirmed why I dislike Saba so much - even though I haven't read this yet, it looks like things won't change much..... it may be a while before I get to this read....

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was a reason behind it that I totally understood, but it made me sad to see her doing something so out of character!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed this one too but the first was way better, in my opinion. I think the darker mood and Saba's attitude got to me a little in this one. I love the writing so much though it's the only dialect book that didn't have me wanting to poke my eyeballs out >.< Great review, Leanne!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, me too! I enjoyed seeing a different side of Saba, even though it wasn't exactly something I liked. The dialect is freaking awesome and it really contributes to the whole of the book. Thanks, Giselle! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)