January 04, 2013

Review: Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry


Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry


Author: Twitter | Website | Goodreads

Format: Hardcover
Pages: 392
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Published: July 31, 2012
Source: Public Library







Review


This book deals with some very different issues, but serious issues nonetheless. There was a lot of raving over this and I was afraid of whether or not I'd like it, but I ended up loving it! It was just such a beautiful story.

Echo used to be a popular girl, one that I admit, I'd probably hate. One night, an incident happens, one so traumatic that her mind completely blocks out the entire day. Echo's story was struggling to remember what had happened that night, how she ended up with scars all along her arms that caused her to become a social outcast.

All she wanted was for things to be "normal" again, and I just wanted to scream at her that it was nearly impossible. I felt so bad for her, she tried to go back to her life before the incident, and her ex-best friend pretty much said "I'm not talking to you unless you get back together with the popular guy and start hanging out with us again." I hated the way Echo still believed her friend would pick her, over her reputation. It was disgusting to see how her "friend" treated her.

Noah was definitely a guy that I wouldn't have wanted to hang out with. He was always stoned, and focused on one night stands so he wouldn't have any attachments. It wasn't until I saw the way he cared about his brothers that I fell in love with him. Eventually, he became attached to Echo. Jenni from Alluring Reads said that he became kind of possessive over her, but to me, it was because everyone he loved was torn away from him, and he just wanted to keep her in his arms and protect her.

I believe that the clinical social worker, Mrs. Collins, played a big role in this book. She not only helped Noah and Echo with their own individual issues, but she helped them with their relationship sometimes. She was just such a main part in keeping both Noah and Echo steady and help them overcome the struggles they needed to.

There were so many elements involved in creating a story that combined friendship and family, love and loss, and really just focusing on how life is unfair and imperfect. I absolutely loved reading Pushing the Limits and ended up crying so much. This was a very emotional contemporary novel.

8 comments:

  1. I won a copy of this one and I'm dying to find some time and read it. Maybe in March...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked this one! It was super good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...focusing on how life is unfair and imperfect


    I think this perfectly sums up Pushing the Limits. Like you, I loved it! I never thought of Noah's behaviour as possessive - he respected Echo's wishes when she said she needed space. I definitely saw it more as someone who was concerned for her well-being.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought he was a really sweet guy, and obviously someone who had problems of his own as well. It was nice to see how they ended up each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with you there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh!! I'll be waiting for your review then!! Haha :) Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrea @The Bookish BabeFri Jan 04, 05:09:00 pm

    Would you believe I've had this for months sand still haven't read it? Everyone loved it, I'm sure I will too.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should read it as soon as you can! :) Thanks, Andrea!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)