January 08, 2013

Review: Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen


Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen


Author: Twitter | Website | Goodreads

Format: Hardcover
Pages: 422
Publisher: Speak
First Published: May 14, 2009
Source: Public Library







Review


I really like how Sarah Dessen doesn't just leave out the parents and instead really brings them into the book. Usually, they're even one of the main problems involved in the book. Lock and Key is no different. Ruby's mom is an alcoholic and also drug addict. She disappears from time to time, and suddenly she disappears for two months and Ruby's landowners find out. She is then sent to live with her sister who she hasn't seen for 10 years. As you can probably tell, there are a lot of problems within her family.

The relationships that Sarah Dessen writes about are always believable, and I loved the way she built those relationships. Each relationship had their ups and downs, and that's just the truth of it, and I loved the way she didn't seem to shy away from harder topics such as abuse.

Speaking of relationships, family was a big one in here. Throughout the book, we get different perspectives of what the word FAMILY means to different people. A few examples are "the people you can't choose", "the people that you're stuck with, that are also stuck with you", and also that there are so many different meanings of family. Whether it's the family you come from, the family you marry into, or the family you start, all of it is just family. And through the book, I loved the way that Ruby finally started to find out what family meant to her. It was a big progress for her, especially since her sister left for school, the only family she had was her mother.

The ending was kind of a sad happy ending, and although it was, like I said, sad, I still really enjoyed it. I guess it just portrays that there never is a happy ever after, but you have to make do with what you've got. That life always has its struggles.

I don't want to get any deeper than that, so just read this book! I think this one ranks among my favourites of Sarah Dessen's books. I loved all the ones I read from her so far, and I'm looking forward to reading more!

4 comments:

  1. Andrea @ The Bookish BabeTue Jan 08, 11:54:00 am

    ive had this book for a year and still haven't read it. Your review makes me want to read it ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a super good book! And I loved the whole concept of family in it. I definitely loved Cora and Jamie -- some of my favourite characters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how Sarah Dessen never leaves out the family. There are so many books out there where the family is basically non existent, so it's nice to read one where the family actually plays a big role! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Haha, you should! I think this one MAY be my favourite of Sarah's books at the moment.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)