January 10, 2013

Review: Hate List by Jennifer Brown


Hate List by Jennifer Brown


Author: Twitter | Website | Goodreads 

Format: Paperback
Pages: 432
Publisher: Little Brown
First Published: September 1, 2009
Read: Jan. 1 - Jan. 5
Source: Public Library





Review


Hate List was my first read about a school shooting, or... post school shooting. It was a very eye-opening read as to the reality of grievers, and people who were associated with the murderer. It was also riveting to read about the way this boy, Nick Levil, had shot people mercilessly, and in the end, himself.

This hate list was started by Valerie, Nick's girlfriend, as a way to vent off her anger towards certain people or things. It was obvious that she already had many problems to deal with and I felt so bad for her when people were saying that Nick should have killed her. Mostly though, it was horrible to see the way she was treated, especially by her parents. Both her mom and dad were horrible people, and made assumptions based on the fact that she went out with Nick. Just because she came up with that list, it didn't mean she wanted to kill those people there, Nick did. But her parents just automatically assumed that she would kill anyone she hung out with. I kind of get why they would think that way, but the way  they expressed it seriously peeved me beyond anything else in the book.

One thing that I wish I could have known was why Nick would decide to murder all these people. I mean, maybe this book was meant to keep that away from us, because Valerie didn't know either. However, maybe it was the way he was bullied by these people that drove him to that way of thinking. Who knows.

Hate List definitely didn't have a major plot with a crazy climax, but the anticipation to watch Valerie try to accept her past and build a better future was something that made me want to keep reading. I loved the format as well, the way it gave the reader bits of the past, and also the present, as well as during the shooting.

Obviously, I can't just write this review without thinking about all those shootings that have occurred. The most similar one being the shooting in Connecticut. It's a horrible event that should not occur at all, but at least it got the government thinking about ways to improve lock downs at school. I just want to send my thoughts again to anyone affected by the shooting.

3 comments:

  1. I have this one on my ereader ... I've heard really good things about Jennifer Brown -- mainly that she rips out your soul as you read -- and I definitely want to give her a try. This one sounds quite intense!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was my first book that I read from here, and I really enjoyed it! It didn't rip my soul out, but it still made me emotional.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love your site.. Great colors & theme. Did you develop this website yourself?
    Please reply back as I'm wanting to create my own personal website and want to learn where you got this from or what the theme is called. Many thanks!
    Feel free to surf my weblog ... Tao of Badass

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)