December 29, 2012

Review: The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen


The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen


Author: Twitter | Website | Goodreads

Format: Hardcover
Pages: 374
Publisher: Viking Juvenile
Published: May 11, 2004
Source: Public Library







Review

It's official! Sarah Dessen is one of my favourite authors now. Again, she weaved together a beautiful story that made me swoon, cry, and laugh. If you think it's just a story about a summer romance, then you're wrong! There were so many other elements bundled up into this one book.

Macy's dad had died and she was there to see it. Instead of showing her grief, she held it together for her mom's sake and tried to be a perfect daughter. Her mom held it together by immersing herself into her work. Throughout the book, we meet many people who reacted to grief in different ways, whether by remembering them, or like Macy and her mom, avoiding the topic.

Macy and her mom don't have the best of relationships in terms of communication, and I could really relate to her with that. While she talked to her mom, she didn't really share those deep thoughts that I know some people do. I just loved to see how their relationship worked out in the end, because Macy always wanted to appear strong, but on the inside, she was still that girl who had lost her dad.

God, her sort-of boyfriend. This was the boyfriend she was with at the beginning of the book. I hated him from the beginning, he was so annoying and snobby. Jason was described as being a genius, and oh so perfect. Macy was with him because she felt that he made her a better person, and helped hold her steady after her dad's death. The way I saw it was that he made her feel like shit when she didn't do things his way, and manipulated her so that she would work HER schedule to fit HIS, change the way SHE did things so HE liked it, and so on. It was a horrible relationship, and I felt so bad for her. And then afterwards, he broke up with her because she wasn't taking her job at the library seriously enough, in which she was covering for him while he went off to Brain Camp. I'd also like to point out that his co-workers were major bitches. I'm sure he had his reasons, but he enraged me. (Just a warning, because I wanted to strangle them)

Now, time for the romance part of the book. I'm a sucker for romance, and I immediately fell in love with Wes, the guy of the story. He was so modest, and attentive, I just wish someone like him actually existed in the world. I really liked how Sarah Dessen spent most of the book just developing their relationship with each other. It's funny how they got to know each other most while playing a game of Truth, and even from the start, they trusted each other to tell the absolute truth.

Macy was a character that I found myself constantly rooting for. She let herself be picked on and always felt bad about herself, so I was beyond happy when she finally stood up for herself. No one should ever be pushed around the way she was.

Like I said, Sarah Dessen put together a very beautiful story about coping with grief, the importance of family, and also love. Oh and one more thing, it was a book full of chaos in every corner, you'll know what I mean. I can't wait to start reading her other books.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this one! Sarah's definitely one of my favourites now, too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)