December 06, 2012

Review: Blood Red Road by Moira Young

Blood Red Road by Moira Young


Author: TwitterGoodreads

Format: Paperback
Pages: 459
Series: Dustlands #1
Publisher: Doubleday Canada
First Edition Published: June 7, 2011
Source: School Library







Review

*Read the synopsis on Goodreads first, the review will make more sense*

It has already been 3 days after I read the book and words still fail me. I usually type up a review, at the most, 1 day after I finish the book, but man... WOW. Blood Red Road was just truly amazing, and like it says on the cover, "Better than The Hunger Games... this book will blow you away." Blood Red Road was an adventure that I'll never forget.

If you haven't heard about it yet, then I'll tell you right here. Blood Red Road is written in, what I think, is a very unique style! Moira Young wrote in, what I thought, a southern accent that I really liked! This writing style will either put people off or hook them in, for me, it was the former. At first, it was a bit difficult, but I got used to it and I just blew through the book. I feel that the writing style was actually kind of essential in establishing the setting of the whole story.

I haven't read many dystopians, but I this one is one of the best that I've read. We don't know how the world became the way it was, but I really didn't mind. The whole setting was very intriguing - desert, dried up lakes, mountains, forests, crumbling towns.

Although a few things in the book were quite predictable, the plot was very well paced and I loved the action and also hints of mystery. Suspense in the right places, romance in others, it was all laid out so nicely and flowed flawlessly. Everything was just timed perfectly!

The main character, Saba, was a great heroine. She loves her brother but despises her sister, who her mother died giving birth to. At times, I felt that Saba was very cruel to the people she was travelling with, but it's hard for her. She lost the person that mattered most to her, and then lost another family member as well, so I could sort of understand why she was so snappy at times. Her love for her brother wasn't something that we could explore in depth because Lugh, her brother, was kidnapped pretty quickly into the book. However, her determination to find and save him was clear and I love that about her; she didn't let anything or anyone get into her way.

As I mentioned before, Saba despised her sister, and throughout the book, I liked seeing their relationship develop. On the topic of relationships, yes there is romance in here. And I was absolutely delighted to find that it wasn't another case of insta-love. Their relationship actually developed and it was completely believable. They went through their ups and downs, fought, and I've got to say, I loved it! It's nice to see a romance in a book that was actually believable.

All around, Saba was a character that I fell in love with because of her strong, hard core, and also watching her become a completely different person hooked me in even more! I can't wait to read Rebel Heart and find out what adventure Saba will go on next!

Favourite Quote


"Don't say that, he says. Don't ever say that. You are somethin, Saba. Somethin good an strong an true. With him [Saba's kidnapped brother] or without him"

15 comments:

  1. Yes I'm so happy you liked this! I loved it and Saba rocks! The sequel is a little more moody so it has a very different tone but it's still really good. I also heard they were making it into a movie! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saba is just kick-ass!! I can't wait to read Blood Red Road!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was one of those ones that was put off by the writing style - I do copy editing, so it really bugged me that there was a lack of punctuation! And I didn't like Saba, as a person.... but she was starting to improve, for me, by the end of the book. I liked the story enough to want to read the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, you must have been thinking "This needs to be spelled like this and there has to be punctuation" I'm like that too, but I wasn't too bothered by the writing style in here. Except for when they talked, sometimes it was confusing whether or not they were talking because there were no quotations. How come you didn't like Saba at first?

    ReplyDelete
  5. She was selfish and narrow minded - I reallllllly disliked that! I was also envisioning Flowers In The Attic-like inappropriate type of feelings she might of had for her brother... didn't like that either!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think her love for her brother wasn't explored a lot, but I didn't think about that. My opinion on it is just that after her mom had died, Lugh was the only person she could depend on. Her father was different and she couldn't help herself with thinking that her mom had died giving birth to Emmi. It was quite harsh of her to almost think that Emmi had killed her mom, but in her mind, Lugh was all she had left. The thing I liked most though was that she became her own person without having to depend on Lugh anymore. She was still determined to go after him, but she became a stronger character and I liked that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review, Leanne! Hopefully I can read this at some point ... it's been getting great ratings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Andrea @The Bookish BabeFri Dec 07, 01:06:00 pm

    I've heard really good things about Blood Red Road. I'm glad you liked it, Leanne.

    I wonder if I would like the accent. Being a Southerner myself, I'm very picky about it in the books I read. ;-)

    Excellent review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really liked it! Hopefully you will too if you don't have a pet peeve of dialects.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, I'm just wondering whether it's going to be just like talking for you, or if it's weird to read a dialect in the same accent as yours...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have had this one on my shelf forever! I need to get to reading it. I like the idea of it being written in Dialect. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to go out and get Rebel Heart... even though I don't own Blood Red Road! Hope you enjoy this whenever you read it. Thanks, Jenni!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really need to find time to read this one. It's been sitting on my shelf for ages and I've heard so many good things.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes!! It's so good, especially if you love dytopians! :) Hope you like it!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)