November 13, 2012

Review: Across the Universe by Beth Revis


Across the Universe by Beth Revis


Author: Twitter | Website | Goodreads

Format: Paperback
Pages: 398
Series: Across the Universe #1
Publisher: Razorbill
Published: November 29, 2011








Review

A few of the Edmonton Book Bloggers absolutely loved this book, so I bought it on the day that Beth Revis was here in Edmonton, which means it is signed!! Since they loved it so much, I actually had high expectations set for this one, and they were seriously met.

When I first began the book, I kept setting it back down because it didn't really pull me in. The characters didn't really interest me (except for the fact that Amy was almost like a character in Doctor Who -- in appearances), there was this weird love/obsession thing, and the story at the beginning was just... meh. And the whole Elder/Eldest thing confused me at first too, like, they don't even have names or anything?

But then I REALLY started to get into it. I mean this book was freaking CRAZY! One minute I think I'm right, the next minute, I'm cursing myself for being stupid for even THINKING that. So many unbelievable things happened and I found myself constantly gaping at what was happening. There were so many things happening at once, but I did not feel confused or anything, it was a very well paced book after the slow-ish beginning.

About the love/obsession thing, as you know, I have a problem with WABAM, THEY'RE IN LOVE. Even though it was kind of like that, it wasn't played on much. The characters were developed but not as a star crossed couple (maybe just a simple couple), which I really liked because, frankly, I am getting tired of that. I loved how they were developed as a team working together to solve the big mystery of the murder, gah, I just LOVED IT!

(I'm trying to type this while my brother is guffawing next door and it is REALLY annoying. Just thought you should know.)

I haven't read a lot of books with their own little dialect before, but I don't mind. I actually like figuring out the general meaning of those words.

Another thing I really liked was the science in here. No, I'm not a science geek or anything, but some of the concepts mentioned in here are linked to what I'm learning in class as well, so I just really enjoyed that!

Also, it was baffling how much the people on the ship didn't know about Earth. And I, like Amy, found their attempts at recreating Earth on a spaceship very weak. Their perspectives about a few things were so vastly different from mine that I had to stop and read it again, to make sure I had actually just read that Hitler was a role model to them. (Mind boggling, I KNOW)

The whole concept of the book intrigued me. They're flying to another planet that will take 3 centuries and she's going to be frozen in a chamber with her thoughts, for THREE centuries. And then the whole mystery, I loved it. Especially since I watch Doctor Who, and there's all this travelling space and time kind of thing, I loved the space theme of this book. Definitely read this if you love dystopians or maybe just a bit of science and space!

9 comments:

  1. Leanne, I'm so glad you enjoyed this one, since I loved it as well. I found Amy's dream chapters a bit boring, but once she woke up, I love it! Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! :D Like Megan, I'm glad you loved this one, too! :D And I felt the same way about it at first. It took me a bit to get hooked, but once I got into the story I couldn't put it down! I really liked Harley, too...it was just such a great story. :) I really enjoyed it! Now I seriously need to read A Million Suns! Thanks for sharing and making me eager to start the next one again! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Same here! When she was dreaming, I would keep thinking "Is there a point to this? Is this foreshadowing?" and would come up with nothing. But it was GREAT afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :D Good thing I don't have a "100-page limit", otherwise I think I would have stopped reading it. I ended up loving it so much! I really want to get the old cover for it, but I'm wondering if it comes in paperback since my copy of AtU is paperback. Oh well, if not, I'll just get the hardcover because it is GORGEOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha I'm glad I don't typically have one either...except with certain books, but in general, no. :P haha I'm glad you kept going! The old covers are gorgeous! I do like the new ones, but I don't like that they don't match now *Ambur starts to shake her fist cursing the world like an angry old man yelling at the kids on his lawn* <--- I hope you enjoyed that visual haha :P It sure is! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exactly! Is the third book only coming out in the *new* style? HAHA, I can totally imagine that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm pretty sure it'll only be in the new style since I've yet to see a different cover for it. *shakes fist again* haha I can too :P lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. YES!!! This book was absolutely awesome and I was so happy that once I read it, the next book wasn't too far behind. I really can't wait for Shades of Earth ... it'll be awesome to get back into this world again!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still have to get the 2nd book! AAAAH. This world is awesome! :D

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)