November 17, 2012

ARC Review: Scorch by Gina Damico


Scorch by Gina Damico


Author: Twitter | Website | Goodreads

Format: ARC
Pages: 332
Publisher: Graphia
Published: September 25, 2012
Source: Ambur from Burning.x.Impossibly.x.Bright










Review


*PROCEED WITH CAUTION: There will be spoilers from the previous book*

I absolutely LOVED Croak, and after finishing it, I knew that I wanted to read the rest of the series. I don't have a finished copy of Croak OR Scorch, but I'm hoping to get them and maybe even re-read them before the final book comes out next year.

Scorch was way more mysterious than Croak. It really got me thinking about all the possibilities of what might happen, and predicting a ton of things along the way. I got a few things right, but the rest was a complete surprise. Scorch just took twists and turns that I wouldn't have ever expected and left me feeling very baffled. By the end of the book, my mind had been thrown around so many times and I just sat there in awe of the book.

As we know, Zara now has the ability to Damn people, and put their souls into agony. She's trying to get something from Lex, so she's Damning criminals and even innocent people to coerce it out of Lex. She was so sly and I had to respect her for that, up until she started Damning innocent people. While she's doing that, Norwood and Heloise (who are complete and utter bastards) are trying to gain control over Croak. Every time they talked, I seriously wanted to punch them in the face for their idiocy even though they thought they were doing the "right" thing. They were just so obnoxious, and believable characters too. Admit it, we've all met someone who was cocky and didn't care about what others thought, just sought to satisfy themselves.

A lot more people were involved with everything than I thought, and I was surprised by one "guest" that just joined them. When I read it, all I kept on thinking was "WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING?"

Uncle Mort knows more than he lets on, but I think we all knew that. I loved him a lot more in this book because he's finally taken on the role of a serious adult in charge of the Juniors. I do miss his sarcasm, but his change in character really intrigued me. He keeps so much secrets and all I want to do is find those secrets out, just like Lex.

Even Lex is keeping her secrets! Since this is told from a third-person POV, we don't know everything about everyone. I was so appalled by the things Lex was hiding and I liked how the reader has to try and guess her next move. Sometimes, it's nice not to know everything a character is going to do until they actually do it, it's a lot more exciting! Lex is still struggling to keep her Grim life and family life apart, but somehow still uphold both of them simultaneously. She struggled a lot with that and also with personal problems, so basically, she was keeping secrets from everyone.

I can't say a lot without giving the book away, and also because this is an ARC and I have no idea what they change. But I'm pretty sure you'll need to be prepared for some SERIOUS mind blowing. It's so hard to sum up how I'm feeling right now, for lack of better words, it was crazily awesome. I kind of feel like this one was better than Croak, for it was more action packed and got the gears in my head turning. Scorch will not disappoint.

Favourite Quotes


"You'll have to excuse my partner," says Driggs, "She loses a few brain cells every time someone pays her a compliment."

3 comments:

  1. I had to skim over your review b/c I still haven't read Croak, but I want to badly. It seems like you really enjoyed Scorch and that excites me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenni @ Alluring ReadsSun Nov 18, 10:17:00 am

    I'm not reading this review because I haven't read Croak yet and I do plan on reading it eventually but I am so happy to see that you loved this one so much. I'm always happy when a series continues to be great in the second instalment, lots fail to do so. I saw you raving about it on Twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know! Hopefully it'll continue to be this great! :D

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)