October 08, 2012

Review: If I Stay by Gayle Forman


If I Stay by Gayle Forman


Author: Twitter | WebsiteGoodreads

Format: Paperback
Pages: 234
Series: If I Stay #1
Publisher: Speak
Published: April 6, 2010
Source: Borrowed from a friend









Review


I basically went on an emotional roller coaster because of this book. Everyone was telling me that it was a good book, so I already had high expectations. If I Stay just blew me away, not just because of the story, but because of how it got me to think of how death works. Mia was in a coma state after she got into a car accident. Her parents and brother are already gone, but she's still got nurses and doctors fighting for her, and family who are rooting for her.

Mia's in a kind of ghost form, but she's not dead. She can only do things normal humans can do, but no one can see her. If I Stay alternates between stories from her past, and also what's going on in the hospital as well. It was great because the stories of her past always had something to do with her right now. She had to make a decision of whether or not to stay, to go back to her body, or to truly die.

I was completely torn. On one hand, her brother and parents were dead. She had such a close relationship that most teenagers don't have with her parents and siblings and I really adored that about Mia. But on the other hand, she had a boyfriend and a best friend that she loved as well. Not only that, but also other family who cares about her a lot. If you read this, you'd understand why I was torn. Mia thought she lost everything, but she still had family as well.

Even more so, with Mia talking about her past, I got to know all the characters better, and see that they really did care about her. I doubted Mia and Adam's love at first, but her past just convinced me that their love was real. Also, while alternating between then and now, I could just see the way Mia started changing the way she worded her thoughts. At first she was unsure, then she sounded like she was finally standing in the right position, only to be finally, thrown off.

This is another one of those death novels, where it gets you to think about life. Like, truly, deeply, think about it. I mean, one day, like any other day, like Mia, something could go wrong. If I Stay was so meaningful and deep, it's a great read if you're in the mood for love. Not just romantic love, but love for friends and family as well.

P.S. I'm so glad I borrowed the sequel from my friend too! Now I can read it right away.

Favourite Quotes


"I'm not sure this is a world I belong in anymore. I'm not sure that I want to wake up."

Oh and here's one that I just wanted to put in because it is utterly true for a LOT of people.

"It was like how Mandarin speakers can sort of understand Cantonese but not really, even though non-Chinese people assume all Chinese can communicate with one another, even though Mandarin and Cantonese are actually different."

Oh one more.

"What can I say? Love's a bitch."


2 comments:

  1. I'm happy you liked this one! It was really, really good. And you're right -- it's great that you have the sequel on hand because you need to read it immediately after!

    Great review, Leanne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristilyn! Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)