October 01, 2012

Review: The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien


The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien


Format: Paperback
Pages: 351
Publisher: HarperCollins
Published: 2006 (First published 1937)
Source: School Library













Review


I was honestly expecting a bit more from The Hobbit. It just sort of fell short of my expectations. Maybe it was because I was expecting it to be like Eragon because of the beginning? The dwarves, goblins, wizards, I couldn't help but think of Eragon! Even though it was quite different from Eragon, I still enjoyed The Hobbit, just not as much as I would've liked to.

Now, Bilbo, the hobbit himself was an interesting character to follow. I mean, at first he was the one that couldn't even climb up a tree without help, and the one who kind of slowed the group of travellers down. But later on, he grew to be a brave hobbit and accomplished a lot of things that his old self wouldn't have done. I especially liked the dwarves (by the way, my computer is saying that "dwarves" isn't a word, and should be corrected to wharves..) because each of them had a characteristic that you could remember them by. One was fat, two could make excellent fires, two of them the youngest, and one was a great guard. The others weren't mentioned as much, but it didn't bother me.

The wizard in here, Gandalf, was said to have accomplished a lot and was a great wizard himself. But I just thought that he wasn't the best wizard. A lot of the times, I thought he could use his magic in some way to actually HELP. I mean, I get that he did save the hobbit and the dwarves quite a few times, but honestly, I just wanted to scream "HOW ARE YOU EVEN A WIZARD?" I expected so much more from him. -shakes my head-

Overall, I liked the book, and I think anyone who is a fan of fantasy should read it. Just don't expect it to be like Eragon, maybe that's why I didn't like it as much as I would have. Who knows...

4 comments:

  1. Good for you reading The Hobbit! I keep telling myself to read it before the movie comes out, but who knows if I'll get around to it.

    Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! It's a good book, but maybe I was just expecting too much. You should read it, and then we can have something else to talk about! :D

      Thanks, Krisitlyn!

      Delete
  2. I think the Hobbit is a book that you get more out of if you've read The Lord of the Rings (and especially the Appendices at the end of Return of the King). There's a lot more going on behind the scenes than a reader first realizes, and the whole thing is a lot more subtle than you might think (given some of the almost slapstick-like comedy at the beginning).


    Gandalf seems to be a bit aloof and negligent at times, but you'll later understand that he's doing a lot of things according to a plan (either his, or a divine one).


    This is why I'm so excited for the movies. Jackson is essentially creating the Hobbit that Tolkien would likely have written had he done so AFTER Lord of the Rings and not BEFORE.


    I've thought about doing an in-depth read of the Hobbit on my blog, but haven't mustered up the courage to do it just yet. Maybe I will when the movie is coming out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, I'll think about reading The Lord of the Rings. I actually like books like these with goblins, dwarves, magic etc.

    I'll probably go see the movie, since the book is still fresh in mind as well.

    Dude, you should totally do one! Maybe then people like me would like it even more. :D

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)