October 30, 2012

Review: Burn for Burn by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian


Burn for Burn by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian


Jenny Han: Twitter | Website | Goodreads
Siobhan Vivian: Twitter | Website | Goodreads

Format: Hardcover
Pages: 356
Series: Burn for Burn #1
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Published: September 18, 2012
Source: School Library






Review


When I first started reading this book, I was so confused by all the different characters. It felt like a bunch of names were just being thrown all over the place, and then there would also be nicknames thrown into the mix. It was so much to remember! Especially the way the book switched between perspectives, and how with each of the three characters, there were the same names, leaving me to wonder if they were actually the same people or not.

That doesn't mean the book wasn't good, it was just confusing to start with. The writing style kind of annoyed me at first, but I eventually got used to it. Each of these three girls want to get their revenge on three different people who were, in one way or another, linked with each other. Throughout the whole book I kept on thinking to myself, "huh, small world." because everyone just seemed to know everyone, and they were all connected.

Their acts of revenge were kind of lame at first, but because of the alternating perspectives and also the flashbacks, we get a more in-depth reason as to why they want revenge. Oh, sweet, sweet, revenge. The further I read, the harder the book was to put down. Everything started becoming more serious, and at one point, I knew the girls were kind of taking it too far. And eventually, they'd have to face the consequences. And that's where the books just leaves off, right at the end when they've taken it too far. What a cliffhanger!

Something that surprised me was the paranormal aspect of it. Really, it wasn't a huge part of the book until it was actually the paranormal aspect that sort of turned the book around. Normally, I would have been kind of ticked off because the synopsis didn't mention the paranormal side, but this time it was subtle enough for me to handle. I'm not sure if it's going to be playing a big role in the next two books, but it'll be interesting to see how it's going to weave into the story.

I'm so glad there's a sequel because I was kind of freaking out, thinking I had missed something. This is a short review because it was just a really light read to me. There were some serious topics, but Jenny and Siobhan just skimmed the surface. I honestly wanted them to take it to the next level, which they didn't, but it's still a good book.

Burn for Burn
doesn't dive really deep into contemporary issues, but if you're that kind of person who can't handle deep and emotional issues, then this book is a great one to start with.


4 comments:

  1. I hate it when I can't get into a book in the beginning -- makes for a slow read! This looks like an okay read, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I love books that immediately pull me in from the start and never let me go. I love books where I actually CANNOT put it down, as if it's glued to my fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paranormal aspect?! Wow, that's a total surprise to me! I thought this one was contemporary through and through. That's pretty interesting though and I think it makes me more curious about reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so subtle sometimes you just think it's a coincidence! I'm pretty sure it's paranormal though! (:

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)