September 14, 2012

Smart Chicks Kick It! Tour Recap

As you may or may not know, one of the stops of the Smart Chicks Kick It! Tour was Edmonton! Hardly anyone ever comes to Edmonton, so I was obviously excited. Before I get to pictures.. here's the very embarrassing story of how I got a seat.

So my mom and I actually had to bus all the way there. My mom buses all the time, but back home, not to the west side. We got my cousin to drive us to Churchill Station because it was near where he worked, we didn't want to trouble him in driving us all the way there. We waited for our bus and when we got on, we wanted to make sure we had the right bus which actually went BY the Westside Chapters. Guess what the bus driver does? YELLS that we should get on the 111, he sounded like he was going to punch us any second. And then he basically kicked us off at a random stop, with NO bus 111. After that, my patience just started wavering. And pretty much everything aggravated me.

My friends tried to save me a seat there, but they wouldn't let them. HOWEVER, when I went it, I told them I had friends in there, and they said that if they saved a seat for me inside, then I can go in. So kind of just going with it, I went in and they said I had to get to the back of the line because they didn't save a seat for me.

Well excuse me if you didn't let them save a seat. So for those few brief seconds of walking away to the back of the line, these STUPID things called emotions took me over. So I kind of broke down in some aisle with no people. Except for Melissa, who I think was sort of a leader of this event. And she got me a seat, because I was crying. All I really needed was a minute to sort of cry or whatever, and I'd suck it up then line up.

I was beating myself in my head for crying, but I mean, I just got yelled at by a bus driver, got on a bus, didn't know when to stop, and took 30 minutes more to drive all the way to West Edmonton Mall, then another 30 minutes to Chapters (when I really could have gotten off and just walked there in 10 minutes), then RAN what felt like a kilometre. Crying was pretty reasonable. Without further ado, the pictures, just to tell the story.


The awesome sign that Rola from Xoreads made!

Our fabulous group of Edmonton Book Bloggers.




Haha, I love how Beth is taking a picture. :D

Here's Margaret probably saying something HILARIOUS.



Beth has double jointed shoulders, that is all I'm going to say, it was kind of disturbing.




Veronica Roth!! :D



Haha, funny faces.




This one is probably my favourite. LOL








The lighting was hard to cope with, so I had to use auto mode. ):




20 comments:

  1. What awesome photos, Leanne! I love it!

    Too bad you had such a hard time with the bus driver. :(

    Actually, your experience with the bus sounds like an experience my husband and I had in Florida ... someone saying we had to take a certain bus, but it didn't come to the station. We ended up WALKING about 2 hours in the sun to catch a bus. It was the longest trip back to the hotel. One reason that Florida isn't the ideal vacation -- everything is so far away!

    Anyway, I'm so happy you and your mom made it to the event! It was so much fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It was memorable.. even though I don't remember everything down to the last detail, haha.

      I know, some people are just rude. ): Wow, that sucks! I've been to Florida, so I know how hot it can get. Busing is very confusing if you're not used to it, or maybe you don't usually bus there. I stayed inside Disney World the whole time, the only time we went out was to go to Universal Studios, and we got a bus to come to our hotel and bring us there.

      Thanks Kristilyn, can't wait until October!! :D

      Delete
  2. I hate when getting to events is such a nightmare. Sometimes things just don't seem to go right at all. But I'm glad you did make it!

    -K8
    http://froze8.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was worth it in the end though, but still very stressing.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you made it and everything worked out in the end!

    I couldn't hear or see any of the interviews because I got there a bit late (5:50) and was stuck by the cards for 2 hours. But it was worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! It was well worth it though right? The event was so much fun. I think most people came around the time you did.

      Delete
  4. Great pictures! Looks like it was a fun event :)

    The Relentless Reader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awesome!! Especially because not a lot of people actually come to Edmonton.

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear that the trip here was rough, I am glad that Melissa came through for you in the end!! Thank you for coming, Westside was more than happy to have you and the Edmonton Book Bloggers join us for this wonderful event! If there is anything we can do to support your group going forward please let us know. We can be reached 780-487-6500 or via email ccarter@indigo.ca, Facebook: WestsideChapters or Twitter @Chapters783. Thank you Again, Cherith & Kimberly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was well worth it, the event was beyond awesome. (:

      Delete
  6. Glad you finally made it and they were nice enough to bring you and your Mom extra seats to sit with us! Hope the trip home was more enjoyable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun!! Thanks for making the name tags for everyone.

      Delete
  7. Leanne thanks for commenting on my blog. I have to say you guys had an awesome turn out for this event. So jealous that you got Veronica and Beth. Loved the pics and so sorry you had a rough time but thankfully someone was kind enough to make it a little better.

    Isn't Jennifer amazing? I got to meet her at BEA for the first time and it was so nice to bump into a Canadian blogger there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I think a lot more people showed up because not many authors, or really anyone, ever come to Edmonton! Veronica was awesome, and Beth was awesome too. But you got Kami Garcia, and other authors as well! I hope they do a similar tour soon.. Melissa honestly made me so happy..

      Jennifer is awesome!! Haha, it's always nice to find out about other bloggers.

      Delete
  8. Aww, I feel so bad for you, it sucks to be the last one to show up, BUT I'm glad it all worked out!! You got some great pictures! I only have 3 on my phone which I won't bother uploading for you guys as they are pretty much repeats of the group shots everyone else has.

    That night was seriously the best author signing I have been to, and I've been to a lot! I hope something like this happens again in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, but I had a great time. I wanted so badly to sit with you guys and just talk again, haha. I think most people have the group shots, at least the one when I didn't get there yet.

      Do you travel a lot to go to signings? I honestly can't wait to go to another one!!

      Delete
  9. Hi Leanne! It's so cool to find and follow another Edmonton area book blogger! Your pictures from the event are SOO amazing. I especially love the candid shots of the authors doing silly things, haha! I only took a few pictures, myself, and I will be posting my recap tonight. I'm really sorry to hear about the stresses you had to endure leading up to the event - I would have been VERY upset, as well, if those things had happened to me, trust me. So I'm glad that overall, you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just happened to click my shutter button at the right moment, LOL. I'll be looking forward to your recap! I love seeing pictures that other people took. I think anyone would have been glum about it, but everyone has to line up anyways... Sucks that I didn't get to see you afterwards!! I would have loved to meet you. :D

      Delete
  10. Awesome pictures and recap, Leanne...and it sucks that the first bit of the day was so awful, but at least it worked out in the end! :D It's like a story with a happy ending! :D

    Great pictures!!! :D I loved that you shared this. I haven't written up a recap post myself yet (had to work Friday and today), but I think I will...might take me a while to get to it though. :P lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I love happy endings. I think it would have worked out anyways if I had to line up, because I'd get to meet them! And probably meet up with you guys later on too!

      Haha, it's alright!! Take your time, Ambur! :D

      Delete

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)