September 11, 2012

[Review] The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff

The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff


Format: Paperback
Pages: 343
Publisher: RazorBill
Published: September 1, 2011 (PB)
First Published: September 1, 2010
Source: School Library











Review



I went into this book expecting a creepy, chilling story. But it's not what I got at all. The book altogether was just CONFUSING. So many times I had to go back and re-read a whole paragraph because it didn't make sense, or just because the editing didn't go to well:

"... which made it easier to pretend that it was coming from someplace else than that I'd made it myself."

"You must know you that belong here, with us..."


It's probably not a big deal to most people, but grammar errors totally tick me off. And there was a few more throughout the book as well.

A major thing that didn't make sense to me was the whole REPLACEMENT thing. I mean, why would the town die if babies weren't replaced and sacrificed. It was never even explained. And also the part where they couldn't touch steel or iron, and how they would feel nauseated just by the smell of it. Everything, like I said, was just CONFUSING.

The only thing I did like was one of the characters, Roswell. He's the main character's, Mackie, best friend. I liked the way he was always there by his side, and how he just didn't judge Mackie at all. Another one of my favourite characters was Emma, Mackie's sister. Their relationship was not a usual sibling relationship, in the sense that Emma did everything she could to try and protect him.

Even though I DID like the characters, I thought that sometimes their reactions and actions made no sense at all.

Overall, this wasn't the book for me at all! Maybe I dove in expecting the wrong thing, but I just really didn't like this book. The whole big idea of replacing babies didn't even make sense to me, and I'm pretty sure that was quite a major point in this book.

8 comments:

  1. Aww, I'm sad you didn't like it! I still plan to read it soon ... I really liked Brenna Yovanoff's book 'The Space Between' and I've been eyeing this one FOREVER!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to hearing your thoughts (:

      Delete
  2. Aww, I hate when things don't make sense in books - or when the author fails to fully explain why certain things happen.

    Haha, whenever I see a spelling/grammar error in a book, I want to send the author/publisher and email right away!! LOL, I never would, and never have, but it sure bugs me!

    Also, happy (belated) birthday!! Hope it was a good one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the book didn't make sense to me... which really sucked! I thought I would like this one. Thanks, Brie!

      Delete
  3. I've not read this book, but I plan to... but the whole bit about not being able to touch steel or iron is a HUGE part of faerie lore... so I'm assuming there are faeries somewhere in this book?

    Have you ever heard of changelings before? Is that what this book is about? (I always got the sense that it was when I picked it up in the bookstore... but having never read it, I don't really know!!)... but yeah, if it is a book about changelings, it would make some of what you described make sense!

    Thanks so much for the review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well now that you mentioned faeries, it's sort of like when faeries replace humans with their own. I only know this because I've read PART of Iron King, and then had to return it to the library. Which sucked! But yea, it does sort of make sense if faeries were even mentioned!

      Thanks for visiting my blog! :D

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this one. I don't like it when things aren't explained well, because I'm the kind of person who will lay in bed after thinking about all inconsistencies and holes. I'm on the fence about this one, since it sounds interesting, but yours isn't the first unhappy review I've read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, sometimes, after reading what I thought was a good book, I sort of go over it in my head. And then a lot of bad things sort of come up. Haha. I'm interested in how others feel about the book though.

      Delete

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)