September 17, 2012

Review: Delirium by Lauren Oliver



Delirium by Lauren Oliver


Format: Hardcover
Pages: 442
Series: Delirium #1
Publisher: HarperTeen
Published: February 1, 2011
Source: Purchased









Review


I picked this up because I saw bloggers posting about Pandemonium, so I decided to read the first book. I'm so glad I did because Delirium was such an intriguing book, I couldn't put it down. The whole concept of it is just interesting: a world where love is a disease, and the cure is taking out the part of you that loves.

Before each chapter, there is a quote about why love is a disease, which really helps guide as along the process of their brainwashing. At 18, people will be "cured" and happy for the rest of their lives because they won't have love anymore. The government basically chooses their life by matching them with someone and telling them how many children to have. All hopes of an actual family relationship is gone.

But the whole dystopian U.S.A believed that love was a disease, and truly believed that the only way to live happy was to get cured. Everyone except for the Invalids. They're the ones who live in the Wilds, the ones who are against the government, ones who believe in love. And with only months before her procedure to cure herself, Lena falls in love with an Invalid.

All the characters here are easy to like or hate because of the way they're written about. However, some characters that I dislike can be forgiven since they have been brainwashed. At first Lena was that girl who tried to do everything right, and abide by all the rules. But by the end, she broke pretty much every rule there was, and I love watching her change throughout the book. How everything she learned as a child was blown up in front of her, and how she had to handle that the government lied to them.

I really liked Hana because she was sort of just, always there. Even when they weren't at the best terms with each other, she was always at the back of my mind. Alex was gorgeous just like most YA books describe them. The way he cared about Lena was nothing different, but what he did for her at the end of the book was different, and showed how much he cared about her. Most YA books just have the guys all high and mighty, but Alex listened to Lena, and never did he once judge her.

I understand how love is a disease though. Sometimes people get hurt because they love someone so much. But love is what really keeps people together, and what helps people to push forward. And even if it is painful sometimes, the "cure" isn't to remove it.

Delirium was predictable in some ways, but totally surprising in others. There were moments where it was like a movie, where I wanted to close my eyes because I didn't want to watch them get in trouble. I love how most books are about falling in love and what not, but this one is about falling in love, but also how without love, many things can fall apart. It's hard to put into words how good the books was and how much I loved it, but you should read this if you like YA dystopians.

Favourite Quote


Mama, Mama, help me get home
I'm out in the woods, I am out on my own.
I found me a werewolf, a nasty old mutt
It showed me its teeth and went straight for my gut.



Mama, Mama, help me get home

I'm out in the woods, I am out on my own.

I was stopped by a vampire, a rotting old wreck

It showed me its teeth, and went straight for my neck.



Mama, Mama, put me to bed

I won't make it home, I'm already half-dead.
I met an Invalid, and fell for his art
He showed me his smile, and went straight for my heart. 

9 comments:

  1. I think I need to read this now! Great review, you really helped me figure out what I was missing out on.

    ~Brittan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, Leanne! I LOVE this series! I hope you can read Pandemonium soon ... and be sure to read Hana, #1.5 in the series. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already reserved it at my library!! :D Haha, sure!

      Delete
  3. Glad you loved this one, Leanne! I loved the characters and the messages about love, as well. It was just an insanely well written book! As are all of Lauren Oliver's books, naturally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, also just noticed your new banner with the pictures from the signing! Very cool!

      Delete
    2. I'm reading Before I Fall now!! :D Haha, I don't know how, but it took me 2 hours to make that banner. I just wanted a header that would represented me.

      Delete
  4. Lauren Oliver is so amazing. I loved these books, just wait until you read the very last page of Pandemonium, I wanted to throw my book across the room. The ending is CRUEL! Great review, Leanne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning on reading it next week!! I can just imagine the frustration right there, haha.

      Delete

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)