September 21, 2012

Review: Audrey's Guide to Witchcraft by Jody Gehrman



Audrey's Guide to Witchcraft by Jody Gehrman


Format: Paperback
Pages: 293
Publisher: Magic Genie Books
Published: June 30, 2012
Source: Jody Gehrman

Author: Twitter | Goodreads | Blog

Thank you Jody for sending me a copy of the book!! (:






Review

I'm a HUGE fan of Harry Potter, so basically I'm also in love with the concept of witchcraft and wizardry. I loved how the idea wasn't stereotypical at all. What I mean is that it wasn't all witches on broomsticks, or bippity boppity boo. There are still, of course, elements of what Audrey calls "witchy stuff". It was especially cool how each witch or sorcerer had a specific talent. The ones mentioned in here were alchemy and necromancy.

The romance in here wasn't overdone either. I loved the awkwardness at the beginning of their relationship, and how they had gotten over that. I wish that we could have seen what the "big thing" was between her and Julian. Why they became stronger when they were together.

The characters in here were also hilarious, and some were really snarky. I have a thing for sarcasm -- if you haven't noticed.

Reading this, I just had a huge anticipation of seeing Audrey's talents put to use, I mean, it's pretty much what the book is about right? Witchcraft? I'm glad Jody fulfilled my anticipation in the end, but I feel like she could have done more. And I really wanted to learn more about her power as well, and see the full extent of what she could do.

It was weird at first how they just let some stranger who was their "cousin" into the house. But afterwards, I really ended up loving Sadie, even though she was quite mysterious. Another problem I had too was that a lot of the times, I had to pick up a dictionary or look up a word online. Which interrupted the flow of my reading, even though it didn't pull me straight in as I read it.

Still, this book was a great read. Thank you, again, to Jody for sending it to me!! If you want to read a book about witchcraft, romance that's serious and funny at the same time, you should go ahead and get this to read!

Favourite Quote

When I have a quote I really like, I put a sticky note or a tag on it. I have ten tags on this one, which is a lot compared to the other books I have.

" Somehow we convinced them [Bridget, her best friend's parents] she wouldn't come home knocked up and worshipping the devil."

"This is why I hated parties. I had the social grace of a retarded monkey."

Okay, this next one is probably my favourite. I couldn't stop laughing.

" I, um, brought you cake."..." It's chocolate. With raspberries. Do you even like raspberries? I almost didn't use them because some people really don't like fruit with their chocolate. I used to be like that, until I discovered how well raspberries go with dark chocolate. Were you going somewhere? I can just leave it with you and you can give the container back later. You could always give it to Meg to give to me -- or not. I mean you can keep it. I have plenty of Tupperware." Stop. Talking. Stop. Talking. "How are you?"



2 comments:

  1. Ha ha ... I love that cake quote! So funny. :)

    I'm glad you liked this one! I love a good witch-y book!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)