August 30, 2012

[Review] Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green & David Levithan



Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green & David Levithan


Format: Paperback
Pages: 310
Publisher: Speak
Published: April 5, 2011 (PB)
Source: School Library








Review


I've only read one of John Green's book, Paper Towns, and I absolutely LOVED it. Many of his books are on my TBR, and I have one of David Levithan's books on my TBR. All in all, I had higher expectations for this book because I've seen many good reviews for Levithan's Every Day, and also many of Green's books. Will Grayson, Will Grayson totally BLEW ME AWAY.

In the first chapter it starts talking about being able to pick your friends, pick your nose, but not pick your friend's nose, it just pulled me in. It was weirdly funny and I really liked it. The two Will Grayson's are completely different people that meet, and their lives are both sort of connected not only through their namesake but through Tiny Cooper. Who ironically is gigantic.

The first Will Grayson is someone who believes that by shutting up and not caring, you won't get hurt by anyone. And those are the rules he lives by, because every time he breaks one of those rules, he gets hurt. The other Will Grayson suffers from depression, but unlike most, he is already used to living with it. He's also gay, but doesn't admit it because he doesn't "give a f***."

What I loved was watching both Will Graysons struggle with their inner selves and pretty much adapt to change. They're so used to living by their own rules, and thinking the same things, that when change comes, or when someone comes and REALLY cares about him, they sort of push them away. At the end of the book, both Will Grayson's were, in a way, completely different than they were in the beginning.

At first, I was appalled by the grammar of one of the Will Graysons, but it wasn't so bad because I still understood everything he was saying. All his sentences were typed in lowercase letters, and I was just really surprised by that.

Will Grayson, Will Grayson was hilarious but also a very serious book. John Green and David Levithan wrote a novel that a lot of teens can probably relate to. I fell in love with the characters, obviously not because they were perfect, but because they were flawed in such a way that I just.. loved them!!

Quote



"I now know why their called exes... The X is the diagram of two paths"

4 comments:

  1. This is SUCH a good book! THOUGH, I wish you had listened to the AUDIO for it because it's beyond awesome. Those songs that Tiny Cooper sings? EPIC in the audiobook!

    Great review, Leanne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He actually SINGS them? Oh my god..... THAT. IS. AWESOME.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great book! I had this on my wishlist and I have no idea why I deleted it. Oops. Shouldn't have done that. I only have on book written by John Green and I didn't like that one at all. That was a bad introduction to his writing, but I'm willing to give his books another try & I should try this one. ;) Great review.

    J'adore Happy Endings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should definitely try this one!! Sucks that you didn't like his other book, but hopefully you'll like this one. Thanks!! (:

      Delete

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)