August 06, 2012

[Review] Night Road by Kristin Hannah

Night Road by Kristin Hannah


(Click cover for Goodreads)

Hardcover: 385 Pages
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Published: March 22, 2011
Source: Purchased at Indigo












Review




Night Road was such an amazing book. It starts out with a girl who has been in foster care for years with a drug addict mom who eventually died. Surprisingly, she has an aunt named Eva, who although didn't have much money herself, took in Lexi. Eventually, Mia and Lexi become best friends and she basically becomes part of the Farraday family. Later on, Lexi even falls in love with Zach, much to Jude's (Mia and Zach's mother) distaste. But it only takes one tragic accident to tear that all apart.



The book is told in a few people's perspectives, and I'll only name two otherwise there will be spoilers. I enjoyed the multiple perspectives, because each person always had their own side of the story, and one was oblivious to how the other was feeling.



Jude was really protective over her twins, maybe even a little overprotective. Her character at the beginning of the book was a strong woman. She tried her best to protect her children from doing anything wrong like drugs or alcohol, but maybe it was her protectiveness that led them to rebel against her. After the accident, she became a fragile person, she even described herself as a porcelain doll who had to be handled with care. 

Lexi was the opposite of rich. She lived with her aunt in a double-wide trailer, and her aunt still had to work fifty hours a day to pay for all the costs. However, Lexi was a very caring person, and she knew right from wrong, which was what led her to pretty much lose almost everything.

During the first half of the book, I was really pulled in because of Lexi's family situation. With a now dead mother who was a drug addict, she must have went through tough times. I just felt bad that she went from one foster family to another, never really being loved, never really being part of the family. And suddenly her aunt takes her in, and I felt so happy for her. 

After the tragic accident, for the rest of the book, every time I opened it and read a few lines, I was crying. My eyes were full of tears and I couldn't even see the page in front of me. Kristin Hannah put such realistic emotions in there, describing everything with detail, the heartbreak and the depression. I couldn't even think of the book without crying, my eyes are still swelled up and red.

Night Road teaches a lesson about a (unfortunately) common issue in the world, which is drinking and driving and the consequences of it. It's a story about making friends and forgiving the ones you love, no matter what. I absolutely fell in love with this book, and also with Kristin Hannah's writing. 


 Favourite Quote




Okay, so my favourite character would have to be Miles, Mia and Zach's father, also Jude's husband. Here is a quote from him when Jude asked him how she could possibly keep the children safe:



"Chaining them to a wall would work. Too bad the state frowns on that."
                                                                                   - Miles Farraday 




4 comments:

  1. Definitely a heartbreaking novel! I think it's one of Hannah's best ... I LOVED it! I'm happy you did, too!

    Great review, Leanne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kristilyn !! I can't wait to pick up another book of hers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep seeing this book in the bargain section at Chapters and while I always pick it up, I have yet to actually purchase it. I haven't read anything by Kristin Hannah yet, so I guess I wasn't sure if I'd like it...but your review has changed my mind :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurray! I'm pretty sure you're going to like it!

      Delete

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)