August 16, 2012

[Review] Croak by Gina Damico



Croak by Gina Damico

Paperback ARC: 311 pages
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Published: March 20, 2012
Source: Book Trade with Ambur at Burning Impossibly Bright




Review


Ambur has a great blog and I love her reviews, so when she suggested that I'd like this book, I believed her. And she was right. I loved this book from the cover to cover. Lex used to be what you call a goody-too-shoes, and suddenly, for no apparent reason, she starts beating kids up. I obviously didn't like that part of Lex, but her personality was sarcastic which I thought was hilarious.

When her parents decide that it's gotten too far, they send Lex to her Uncle Mort, and uncle who Lex and her twin sister, Cordy, have only seen a few times before. They hardly know anything about him. Lex is dumped off at the bus station and was expecting a farmer to come and pick her up. Instead, she got someone with black hair and purple streaks, as Lex describes him, someone who looks like a villain.

Uncle Mort turned out to be really cool guy. He was sarcastic (like Lex), strong, protective, and a Grim Reaper. He basically told Lex's parents that she should come to Croak and learn a few things, but really, he knew she was going to be a Grim Reaper. But Lex had trouble coping with the fact that she couldn't Kill the murderer who killed the people she had to reap.

Gina Damico wrote with a lot of details but not to the point where my head burst, just until I could form a clear image in my head. There were so many phrases in here that made me burst out laughing because they were funny, or just absolutely absurd.

I loved how this book, although about Grim Reapers, was still very real. All the emotions and reactions of every single character was realistic. Like when Uncle Mort told Lex that he Killed (Yes, with a capital K) people, she was horrified. The awkwardness and strain between characters were also realistic. I absolutely loved the relationship between Lex and Driggs, even if it wasn't the biggest thing in the book. Sometimes it was just plain awkward, but that's how it is in real life, relationships are awkward. They're not like the insta-love we find so often in YA books. Gina Damico did a great job of building their relationship, because they were pretty much best friends as well. They were just so cute, and everyone seemed to already know that they would be together. It was extremely hilarious and cute at the same time.

I also love it when a book ISN'T that predictable because there's more suspense to it. Croak took many twists and turns that I didn't expect. Some things I predicted correctly, others, not so much. The overall plot was great because it was building up to this one point where everything that Lex discovered finally blew up in her face.

Croak was such a funny book to read, but it was also serious at the right moments. If you'd like a laugh or two (more like through the whole book), definitely pick this one up. Also, the sequel will be coming out in September, I'm so excited !!

Quotes


"Momentarily forgetting how wind works, Lex tried spitting at him."

"Lex sensed that she was only seconds away from spontaneously combusting into a cloud of mist and thorny resentment."



Thank you, Ambur for recommending this to me (:






4 comments:

  1. Great review, Leanne! I can't wait to read this one -- I love a good grim reaper book! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristilyn!! This is my first grim reaper book, it was awesome!!!

      Delete
  2. So glad that you liked this one, Leanne! :D And thanks for saying such sweet things about me and my blog, you're too sweet! :D

    And you're so welcome for the recommendation! :D

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)