August 14, 2012

[Review] Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Hardcover: 387 Pages
Series: The Lunar Chronicles #1
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Published: January 3, 2012
Source: Purchased at Coles




Review


Oh man. I literally stayed up until 3 in the morning to read this even though I had to wake up earlier for a meet-up with the bloggers in Edmonton. Cinder was so amazing, once I got into it, I just couldn't stop.

As you all can guess, it's an adaptation of Cinderella, except this book takes place way into the future, after the FOURTH World War. Also, there are people called Lunars on the moon who are quite evil because they can manipulate people's feelings and also what they see. It was a lot to take in at first, but after a while, the information just stuck into my head.


Cinder is a cyborg, so basically she's part machine, part human. Cyborgs are disgraced and also picked in the cyborg draft for the research for the cure of letumosis, a deadly plague.

I loved how instead of Cinder hating both her step-sisters, Pearl and Peony, and step-mother, Adri, she loves the younger step-sister, Peony. Pearl and Adri hate her because she's a cyborg, a mutant. They hate her because after their father went to Europe to bring Cinder back, he came back with letumosis.

After Peony catches the plague, Adri sends Cinder to be a guinea pig for the search of a cure for letumosis. I just found it horrible that some guardian could just send her adopted child to a research that most cyborgs never came out alive from without even batting an eye. She just simply blamed Cinder for Peony catching the plague when Cinder hadn't done anything. 

But without realizing it, Cinder stepped into something so much greater, and found out many secrets about herself that she had no idea about before. Secrets that could probably even change everyone's life. 

Cinder was such a great twist on the classic Disney movie Cinderella. There wasn't a moment where the book dragged, and every time we got new information, there was a bit of time for the information to suck in. There were so many things that I just couldn't have predicted until the big hints were actually dropped. I loved it, and I can't wait to read Scarlet.

Quotes


"'I am most displeased to hear that." She sounded about as displeased as a cat who'd just cornered a mouse.'"





4 comments:

  1. Aw, yay! I can't wait to read this one! I love that you stayed up so late (so early?) reading it ... the only other book I remember doing that with is Anna and the French Kiss. Hopefully this one will be next!

    Great review, Leanne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so interesting to read !! Thanks Kristilyn !! (:

      Delete
  2. Come on over to my blog - you have been nominated for the Sunshine Blogger Award = also always looking for new followers. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woah, seriously ?! Thanks, I'll be right there.

      Delete

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)