August 09, 2012

[Review] Beastly by Alex Flinn



Beastly by Alex Flinn

Paperback: 304 Pages
Series: Kendra Chronicles #1
Publisher: HarperTeen
Published: October 2nd 2007
Source: Purchased






Review


This was my 2nd time reading Beastly and I remember loving it back then, and I still love it now!! If you don't know already, it's an adaptation of Beauty and the Beast, one of my favourite Disney movies. Now that I read it again, I can see how much it actually is like the movie, but also how it's different.

Kyle Kingsbury was turned into a beast because he was a cold, cruel and rude person. He had the perfect looks and everything, but he would pick out every flaw about someone and make fun of them for it. To say the least, he was a jerk. It was why Kendra, the witch, turned him into a beast. However, through his love for Lindy he became a different person, and I absolutely loved him. Kyle cared so much for Lindy, and he did everything he could just to make her feel happy.

There were chats that Kyle participated in after he became a beast. It was supposed to help them cope with his transformation, and also hear about others transformations as well. I loved it because they were other obvious Disney characters.

I also liked the way it was told from Kyle's point of view. There aren't a lot of books, especially romantic ones told from the guy's point of view. Well, few of which I've come across anyways.


The lesson here is what I loved: Don't judge someone for their looks. Look past that and see them for who they really are. Kyle was a cold person with good looks, but the beast version of him (Adrian, because he renamed himself) became a caring, loving person/beast(?). He may have been ugly, but he was such a romantic and really swoon-worthy.

Beastly made me laugh and even though it was my second time through and I knew everything that was going to happen, I still cried. I absolutely loved this adaptation of Beauty and the Beast. (It even had a library full of books from floor to ceiling, like the one Belle had which was the size of a ballroom.)

Quotes


Here's a cold, cruel Kyle for you

"It was fun to kick the nerds, make them cry, then kick them some more."

A sarcastic Kyle/Adrian

"This may be why you're not actually surrounded by girls."








2 comments:

  1. Yes! This was a great book! I just read it earlier this year and love, love, loved it. I really want to try some more Alex Flinn one of these days ... her writing style was great and I was hooked from the first page.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She actually haas a few books out, and I think most of them are adaptations of fairy tales.

    Thanks Kristilyn !! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)