July 18, 2012

[Review] Wither by Lauren DeStefano


Wither by Lauren DeStefano


Hardcover: 358 Pages
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Published: March 22, 2011
Source: Indigo Bookstore
Series: The Chemical Garden Trilogy #1

Review





First of all, I want to talk about cover. Not only is it beautiful, but it also symbolizes a few things. The objects in the circles are the symbols, Rhine, the ring, and the bird. The ring is pretty much her imprisonment in the mansion, the reason she's here, and like the bird, she's supposed to be free, but now they're trapped.



Scientists had thought they had come up with the perfect embryo, but like everything, it had flaws. Every child was born healthy, however a virus caused boys to only lived to be 25, and girls died at 20 years of age. Just imagine, being a teenager right now, I know there are MANY things that I have yet to do in the years coming. But now in the dystopian world of Wither, you carry a baby as a teenager, so you miss out on so many things.






Characters






Of course, like most people who have been forced to marry someone they do not love, and live in a place that is not their home, Rhine wants to escape. Her main motivation is to find her twin brother, Rowan, who is alone because Rhine had been taken away, and their parents taken by the virus.



I loved how Gabriel's love for Rhine wasn't all gooey and everything, it was just plain and simple. Just caring and loving. Although Rhine didn't really notice it at first. There are just so many sweet moments between Rhine and Gabriel that I just love !! I wanted to see so much more of Gabriel, and I feel as though we don't really get to know him at all.


Also, while reading Wither, although Linden is to blame for Rhine's imprisonment in the mansion, he has a genuine love for her too. I felt sorry for him, because he had no idea of what happened to the other girls who weren't picked, and also to his "still-birth" and first wife.



At first, when I had read the synopsis of Wither, I had thought that Housemaster Vaughn was a good person, because he was trying to find an antidote to cure the virus. But he was a intimidating, and evil man.



One of my favourite characters would be Jenna. I loved how she was the quiet girl, but there would always be thoughts of revenge on her mind, but also thoughts of dying in such a beautiful place.






Plot




I liked the overall direction this book took. From being kidnapped, forced into marriage, and just bonding with everyone, it was well thought out. Although sometimes it could be a bit dull, not a lot of things went on. I didn't get those pounding heart moments, but I did cry a few times. I just felt there wasn't a lot going on in the book.






Overall




I really liked Wither ! It introduces a new dystopian society that I really enjoyed reading. It's the whole idea of knowing for sure when you're going to die that frightens me but also lures me in. I'm DEFINITELY reading Fever when I get my hands on that book.


Favourite Quote





"Rhine. The river that, somewhere out there, has broken free."


Rating





3.5/5 Like I said, not a lot of heart pounding moments, I enjoy those dare devil, exciting moments. I still really enjoyed the book though.



Also, I love the design of the pages and context of the book, it's so cool !

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked this one! You're right, not a lot of heart-pounding action, but it was such a great read. In my opinion, it's the strongest of the series so far. And the cover! So pretty, as well as the chapter headings.

    I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Fever once you read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll probably buy it the next time I go to a bookstore, can't wait !!

      Delete

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)