July 23, 2012

[Review] Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson


Format: Hardcover
Pages: 288
Publisher: Viking Juvenille
Published: March 19, 2009
Source: Bought







Review



I've only read one of Anderson's book before, Twisted, and I absolutely loved it. Also, I've been planning to read Speak as well, but I haven't managed to get my hands on that book yet.

Holy crap, Lia's life is a mess. Ever since she saw her best friend, Cassie, retching up her insides on purpose to lose weight, she does it too, because they're best friends. She struggles with her self image so much that, not only does she not eat, but every time she eats, she remembers her caloric intake. And her maximum amount of calories PER DAY ? 800. Every time she loses weight, she just wants to lose more.

Now, this book had me just flipping through because I really wanted to see Lia get better. I wanted her to get past those voices in her head telling her that she was stupid, that she was fat. She was not fat at all, at 18, she was 99 pounds and dropping. But that's how anorexia works, and many teens are going through the same thing. They lose weight, but it's never enough.

I just wanted to say that, I'm not the skinniest, and NO, I'm not anorexic. I'm 13, and let's just say that I'm overweight. Reading this book, it set off something in me, making me want to just say this to every anorexic girl in the world. Skinny does NOT make you beautiful. I know everyone always says "the inside is what counts", and it's true. If you have a caring, loving soul, then you are beautiful. If you help others around you, stand up to bullies, you're beautiful in a way. Don't let those bitches get into your head telling you you're stupid, fat, not worth anything. Fight it. And if it's really too hard, tell someone. Call hot-lines, or talk to a school councillor. 

Alberta Hot-Lines


If you live in other places, find a phone book, it's always the first couple pages.

AADAC Help Line - 24HR: 1.866.332.2322
Bullying Helpline: 1.888.456.2323
Teen Support Line: 1.877.803.8336

1 comment:

  1. This was such a good read! I want to read Speak, as well. I really enjoy Laurie's writing style! I thought I'd find the writing jarring, but I flew through the book!

    Great review! And you're right -- you don't need to be skinny to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)