July 03, 2012

[Review] The Maze Runner by James Dashner



The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Paperback: 375 Pages
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Published: August 24, 2012 ** for paperback
Source: Public Library

Review


The Maze Runner started out quite confusing, and I liked it, because we're in the state of mind that the main character, Thomas, is in. Thomas wakes up in a sort of lift kind of thing, and he remembers nothing except his name, just his first name. He arrives in a place called the Glade, where everyone has their own place.

It was really interesting just watching Thomas become more and more of a Glader, which is what they call themselves. In the beginning, Thomas was just an awkward guy who felt out of place, he didn't understand why they talked the way they did, and just pretty much the function of the whole place. I really enjoyed just watching him start to belong, even if it didn't last very long. After Thomas came, weird things have been happening, and some people are just picking him out as either a God, or someone who should die.

Another thing I really liked was just the setting. The Glade is in the middle of a whole MAZE, hence, The Maze Runner. Runners of the Glade will go out everyday and map out the maze, which changes every night, over night after the walls of the Glade close. Apparently, all of them were sent there to figure out this maze and get the hell out of there, but for 2 years now, they haven't found a way out. I don't know, the idea of a maze scares me because I get lost really easily, but I still love the setting of the whole book.

However, The Maze Runner was sort of a slow book, it dragged on for the first half, and things don't really pick up until the middle of the book. I didn't feel the push to just keep reading and reading. In it's defense, the first half felt like a whole lot of development to the point my head hurt. At times, I would be screaming at the characters in my head because some things were just so OBVIOUS.

This wasn't what I thought it would be about, I thought that they would be stuck in the maze, and that there would be an opening.. but since the walls moved all the time, it would be hard for them. I didn't expect the Runners to be so good at remember all the patterns of the maze, so I was off about what was going to happen.


Overall, this book is a pretty good read, and I can't wait to read the next book in the series, The Scorch Trials. If you're looking for a book that will make you laugh and shiver at the same time, this is for you.

OH AND BY THE WAY,
sorry to anyone shipping Teresa and Thomas, but I'm going with Minho and Thomas. They are gay for each other, in my head. -coughs- Yea.



Favourite Quote

"I'll get down on my knees and kiss your bloody feet if you can figure it out."

                                                 - Newt





Rating:

3.5 / 5 > It was pretty good !! (:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)