May 18, 2012

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare


Hardcover: 536 Pages
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Published: May 8, 2012
ISBN:

Goodreads Summary

FULL OF SPOILERS, YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.


I was SOOOOOOOOOOO excited to read this book. It's one of my favourite series. If you haven't read it, there's also a prequel series to it, here's the order you can read it in.

1. City of Bones
2. City of Ashes
3. City of Glass
4. Clockwork Angel
5. City of Fallen Angels
6. Clockwork Prince
7. City of Lost Souls
8. Clockwork Princess (Not out yet)
9. City of Heavenly Fire (Not out yet)

Or else you can just read the City of " ", or Clockwork " " series solo too. :D



Thoughts while reading:


May 16:


- Noticed a couple things from the TDI series are mentioned: Demon Pox, and the Clockwork Angel as well. Pretty cool !

- I feel so bad for Simon... his mom thinks he's a monster, causing him to be unsure of whether or not to meet up with his own SISTER.

- Jace and Sebastian are one now, so does that mean they think and do everything alike. And they have no secrets or what ? Jace seems like Jace, but not like Jace at the same time, ya know ? ..... Oh, so if one gets hurt, the other does too !!

- Totally didn't see THAT coming, (sarcasm) who would've known Jocelyn would see her Sebastian/Jonathan.

- Absolutely shipping Jordan and Maia, even with a history like that, they still love each other, it's just so lovely. (Why am I crying ?) I want to stop reading because I've got school tomorrow, and I haven't really been sleeping these days, but ugh.

May 17:


- Woaah, the demon is asking for a lot here, a happy memory that they will not be able to remember. If you forget the past, it will affect the future, no doubt about it. Like all demons, he's a dick.

- Again with the eggs, just like in Clockwork Prince, AHAH.

- Really not liking how Jace just simply AGREES to everything Sebastian says, even if he can't exactly help it, but STILL.

- Honestly, I thought Clary would draw the rune that she drew on the piece of paper on Sebastian.

- Crap, is it bad that I kind of like Sebastian (or as I like to call him, Sebastard) ?? I mean, that strong, fueling hatred is still there, but he seems pretty cool. I know I'll regret this later, but damn, he's pretty cool. And Clary is just BAD ASS.

- OH GOD, I forgot about Simon's mark, so I was so scared when he was in the pentagram with Azazel.

- Magnus calling Simon "Sherwin, Smedley and Sheldon. LOL. But I hope Simon doesn't actually carry out with this silly plan. Even with the Mark of Cain, who knows what will happen if it's Heaven itself against him.

- Dammit Clary, the silver stuff is doing something to her. Sebastian is so manipulative too, just like Valentine. He also seems like he's "in love" with Clary, it's so creepy.

- IS THE SEELIE QUEEN HELPING SEBASTIAN !?! HE'S TRYING TO END THE WORLD. HOLY CRAP.

- See, knew it. The ring is now GONE. And I swear there's something about Sebastian's bracelet.

May 18:


- Jordan is so paranoid about Maia; and whether or not she's going to stay with him.

- Oh hey, A Tale of Two Cities is mentioned in here too !! AND WITH THE NOTE THAT WILL WROTE TO TESSA IN THERE.

- Oh !! IT'S FINALLY JACE AGAIN, the REAL Jace. So if he was wounded by this weapon, then there should be another one out there. This pugio, a dagger soaked in an angel's blood.

- Oh my god, Simon, please be safe. CLARY, WHY DID YOU JUST DO THAT. UGH.

- Woah, the Angel Raziel... my first thought, like Simon, was he looked like Jace. Come on Raziel, help them !!! YES. Too bad Simon had to lose his Mark of Cain, now he's not exactly safe from Raphael anymore.

- Stupid Seelie Queen. Who would've known she could eavesdrop on everything they said through the rings... COME ON CLARY, KICK HIS ASS. I knew I would regret liking Sebastian.

- Sebastian is so creepy right now, he actually thinks he loves Clary ? I guess it was hinted and foreshadowed a lot, especially when she found the notes that said My beautiful one. I actually thought Clary would kill Sebastian, after hearing that the real Jace would rather die, but love may make you strong, but love is also a weakness.

- Maryse should just shut up. They're running out of time to save her own SON Jace, and she's still taking the time to think about what to do ?

- I like how Cassie didn't tell us what the rune would do until Clary actually used it. Blasting a whole apartment up, cool.

- Is there a way to reverse what has been done to Amatis ? If she's a "dark" shadowhunter, is there a way to bring her back ?

- HAHA SEBASTIAN, guess there's a flaw in every plan ! NO MAGNUS, NOOOO.

- Clary did the right thing, but I'm sure Jace isn't dead. Since he isn't dead, then I guess Sebastian isn't either, but they're no longer bound to each other.

- Alec's middle name is Gideon ? Not sure if that was mentioned before or not, but it's the name of Gideon in the Clockwork Angel and Prince.

- No, Magnus, don't make him leave. Oh god, Maureen is going to be a big problem.

- This reminds me of the "Immortals Series" by Alyson Noel (Mind you, I didn't really like that series), because Damen could never touch Ever afterwards. Now, they can touch, but the Heavenly Fire may burn Clary.


Review:


I loved how Cassie told this from multiple people's perspectives, it gives me an idea of everything others are thinking. She did that in her other books, but not as wide as in this book because we get a bit from everyone we know.

Another thing I really liked was the modernized "apartment" that Clary, Jace, and Sebastian were living in. It seemed like a really cool place, and a place that I would like to live in too. Sometimes I just imagine it floating around in the middle of nowhere, in the void. I have no idea why. It also reminds me of the Tardis in Doctor Who. It's pretty cool for me to, having just read "Die For Me'' and "Until I Die" by Amy Plum, which introduced me to Paris. City of Lost Souls takes us to many places like Venice, Prague, and Paris, so awesome.

We get a lot more of Brother Zachariah in City of Lost Souls, and people are saying it's Will. It kind of makes sense though, he keeps helping out with finding Jace and everything, after all, they are related. But, I don't know, we'll wait and see. And like Clary said: "You seem to know a lot about the Herondales." I think it might be, since even the Iron Sisters change their names when they become an Iron Sister, so I'm pretty sure the Silent Brothers do as well.

Additionally, I liked how Isabelle stood up for Clary, about how Jocelyn is too protective sometimes. It shows how much Isabelle changed throughout the series, from being jealous and sort of mean to Clary, to standing up for her.

There's quite a bit of romance going on in this one besides just Jace and Clary. There's Isabelle and Simon, Jordan and Maia, and obviously Magnus and Alec. However, Magnus and Alec... there's something going on between the two of them. What with Alec listening to Camille's "advice" and not really just being himself. Magnus is quite pissed, but he still loves Alec. I'm honestly wondering what will be of their relationship in the end.

Also, in this book, we get a bit of background of Clary and Sebastian/Jonathan's family. It's quite brief, but it's interesting at the same time. It's not that important, maybe not YET, in my opinion. Maybe it'll come back again in some way, but I don't think so.

City of Lost Souls wasn't what I thought it would be, it was different, but not in a bad way. All in all, I CAN'T WAIT FOR CITY OF HEAVENLY FIRE. At first I had no idea why it was named the way it was, but now, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the fire in Jace. Hope you enjoyed this book as much as I did !! (:


Favourite Quote:


"It's 'Descensus Averno facilis est.' 'The descent into hell is easy, said Alec. "You just said "Kiss the cook." 


Rating:

1 []
2 []
3 []
4 []
5 [x] Loved it, as I always do with Cassandra Clare's books.


Cover courtesy to publisher and Goodreads
Don't forget to follow if you like this blog (:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment down below, anything at all :)